• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTK: Duron 1.3 exp in unlocking and OCing....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rudolf

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I was a reader of it for a long time.
I started out with a Duron 700, had it overclocked to 850 900 using the BIOS. I cracked the CPU thanks to the heatsink and thus my motherboard went also.
I bought a Soltek 75-kav 133(I know its old but I couldn't find a cheaper motherboard and still use my SDRAMS which I have 512 total from 2 256 Kingston PC133.

So now I have a Duron 1.3 and then I used the redstornm overclocking and it can only get it up to 1.4 or so. When I do it the BIOS or dip switch way, it works up to 1.45 and then it locks ups and restarts back at 1.3 again.

I was reading in Tom's Hardware from their review for the Duron 1.3 versus Celeron battle that it seems the new Duron's are locked differently even after doing the L1 bridges to unlock the multipliers.
My question is has anyone else exp. What I exp in regards to the Duron 1.3?
I mean is it really unlockable? Is this the norm for Durons now or ??
I used the pencil trick with mechanical pencils and I did a good job using several suggested techniques. I think I might just wait it out and get an XP next year when they are cheap. The soltek motherboard can take it as long as I flash a new BIOS onto it.
Oh yeah the other thing is when I use Sandra and do the Motherboard review, it locks up and starts over. Same with CPU. Same with System review. When I return it back to 1.3 it goes good I guess.
I am using a 32 meg NVIDIA TNT2 Card on PCI and I have a Seagate Barracuda 80 gigHDD. I am running Windows XP Home edition.
In a sense I guess I am a newbie but an exp'ed newbie at best :beer:
Anyways, if this belongs in the unlocking AMD CPUs or other thread I am sorry dudes and dudettes but if not, any help will be sincerely appreciated alot.
Thanks and beam me home....
Rudi

the core really wont go higher than 1.4ghz
my 1.2 wont go higher than that
im pretty sure you can unlock them like normal
to test it unlock the chip ,drop the multiplier and up the FSB
that should tell you if it cant be unlocked,or if youve reached the limits of the chip...

Back