• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WU Temp?? What is that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Hey, I was just wondering what a WU Temp folder was and why it was on my hard drive. I've deleted it on my C: drive and my secondary (Z: ) drive, but it came back on the Z:. It's got a .cab file and a few other files in there and I have no idea what they are or where they came from. They only take up 71Kb, but I really don't like it there. I made it hidden so I wouldn't have to see it's ugly face every time I opened explorer, but I still don't want it there.

What's up with this? Any ideas on how to remove it and not make it come back?

Thanks guys

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
I believe the "WUTemp" folder is created by Windows Update, which it uses to copy and extract *.cab/installation files to and such (basically a working temp folder). AFAIK the temp folder should be present, but empty...in that after Windows Update installs the update(s), it deletes the installation files it's extracted. IMO, Windows Update probably just didn't clean out the folder thoroughly after completing the installation of a particular update(s). ;)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
i see that folder occasionally aswell. it bugs me when programs can't clean up after themselves.