• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-25M(SSD) & Raptors(Raid0)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLIssID

Hey all, had a quick question as to how i'd be able to use my onboard raid controller to setup my raptors in a raid-0 array while installing Windows7 on my new SSD.

I've switched my controller in bios from "RAID" to "AHCI" like recommended but now i've lost the option to setup my raptors in a raid-0 array. Is there a way around this problem? Or would using the "RAID" option be just as good as the "AHCI" and still allow me to install W7 on my SSD?

TY! Specs listed in sig

I'm 99.9% sure that if you're going to use the onboard raid controller you will have to set it to RAID mode in the bios or else you won't be able to do it.

not sure what mode that will put the ssd in but someone on here should know.

You need it set to RAID mode to have any RAID. Any single drive(SSD) will run in ACHI mode when not part of an array but with the controller in RAID mode.

You need it set to RAID mode to have any RAID. Any single drive(SSD) will run in ACHI mode when not part of an array but with the controller in RAID mode.

Ok so just set my controller to RAID and my SSD will act as if it's in ACHI. Sounds good.

Thank you for the information! :)

just for my own knowledge...how do you know that it will run in AHCI mode rather than IDE?

edit: i found my own answer. wikipedia can be great at times

Last edited:
just for my own knowledge...how do you know that it will run in AHCI mode rather than IDE?

Because IDE is a totally different option. In RAID mode, however, you'll need to use the RAID driver rather than the AHCI driver. You can have stand alone drives using the RAID option, just you will not be able to set any caching options in the console.. unless its in RAID.

Because IDE is a totally different option. In RAID mode, however, you'll need to use the RAID driver rather than the AHCI driver. You can have stand alone drives using the RAID option, just you will not be able to set any caching options in the console.. unless its in RAID.

Err so does this mean that i'd have to install the RAID driver on W7 install setup even if i'm not installing W7 on my RAID array?

If that's the case i'm going to have to go digging for my floppy drive.. -_-

Err so does this mean that i'd have to install the RAID driver on W7 install setup even if i'm not installing W7 on my RAID array?

If that's the case i'm going to have to go digging for my floppy drive.. -_-
Windows 7 should have the drivers built in. You can also put the drivers on a flash drive and use that instead, if for some reason it can't find the drivers by itself.

Windows 7 has built in ICH10R drivers. your fine. i run my board in RAID mode with only a Single SSD and a DVD-RW drive.

Somebody told me it was faster but i have no data to prove either way.

benefit to this is that if you want to take a single drive and pair it up for RAID 0,1,5,10 you don't need to reload your OS.

Yes creating an array will wipe the data but you can image it off to another disk and then back on to the new array and windows will boot fine.

Windows 7 has built in ICH10R drivers. your fine. i run my board in RAID mode with only a Single SSD and a DVD-RW drive.

Somebody told me it was faster but i have no data to prove either way.

benefit to this is that if you want to take a single drive and pair it up for RAID 0,1,5,10 you don't need to reload your OS.

Yes creating an array will wipe the data but you can image it off to another disk and then back on to the new array and windows will boot fine.

Raid mode is faster than ide, it enabled AHCI support. Running just ahci mode would have the same affect. Hope that clears it up for you :)

TRIM and ICH10R

Hi,

I would like to use a single Intel X25M 160gb alongside two 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 on the ICH10r on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard.

Will TRIM get passed through to a non-member RAID on the ICH10R? Or does having any RAID on the 6 SATA ports of the ICH10r block the ability of the TRIM command to reach a single SSD that is not raided.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I would like to use a single Intel X25M 160gb alongside two 7200rpm drives in RAID 0 on the ICH10r on a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard.

Will TRIM get passed through to a non-member RAID on the ICH10R? Or does having any RAID on the 6 SATA ports of the ICH10r block the ability of the TRIM command to reach a single SSD that is not raided.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It "should" work with any drive in a non array configuration. I would say yes.

Back