• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-Com Complete Pack on Steam $2 this weekend.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really dug it back in the day. Are older these steam games made compatible with modern systems?

I really dug it back in the day. Are older these steam games made compatible with modern systems?

Yup, looking at the store page through steam and the minimum requirements are Windows 2000/XP/Vista, probably 7 as well.

Well, all except terror from the deep which only lists XP, but that may work with Vista/7 also don't know.

Having bought DOOM off Steam, it works just fine on Vista, I imagine they have solved whatever compatibility problems there are. If not, I suppose it's only 2 dollars.

I've found that some older games have not been updated to manage the faster clock times of newer CPUs. So, some titles will be uncontrollable and the actors on the screen will race around making the game not worth the purchase.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

I wondered if the X-Com series was any good.

Very good, at least the first 2 games. Don't bother with the later ones.

Yep, they use DOSBox to run em.

I've found that some older games have not been updated to manage the faster clock times of newer CPUs. So, some titles will be uncontrollable and the actors on the screen will race around making the game not worth the purchase.

Any Steam game that uses DOSBox can be configured to use whatever CPU settings you like.

I'll look into DOSBox. I found when I bought some classic games from the Holiday Super Sales, I was disappointed that they did not flow like they did back on my old Pentium 200.

Back