• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X Server problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Felix

Registered
I'm fairly new to Linux and am starting with Debian, which means quite a steep learning curve. I've had a number of problems getting it installed, but have mostly solved them.

However I still can't get a GUI. Whenever it tries to start I get a message along the lines of "The X Server cannot start. This is likely because it is not configured correctly". When I view the output it just gives me a blank message.

I tried running xf86config which seemed to work, at the end it said it had written the config file to /etc/x11. Only when I looked in /etc/ there was no such file.

I also tried installing the nvidia linux drivers.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I probably just need a prod in the right direction :)

It sounds like the package didn't install right.
I haven't played with Debian myself.... Maybe try

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I got that from a Debian XF86Config manpage.

Well, have you tried running the normal X config command? I think its xf86config not sure...but that could be it.

Its a pretty basic walk through on configuring it...some trial and error will weed out what doesn't work :)

Good luck!

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Thanks injinj. When I did dpkg-reconfigure it told me the package wasn't installed (or properly installed). I reinstalled it with apt-get, and then used dpkg-reconfigure again. Took me a few tries to get the settings right, but I finally have a GUI. No mouse just yet, but that shouldn't be too tricky.

I'm now using Linux to post this :) Dug up my novelty PS/2 mouse which is much easier to setup than an MX700.

Sounds more like a weapon than a mouse :) My MS IntelliMouse works with RH8, I was quite amazed that it did. Mouse wheels always used to be such a pain to setup.

Very good. Linux is really something quite different as far as "out-of-the-box" ease than windows. Thank god there are lots of forums like this. Check linuxquestions.org it is very helpful. Best thing ever with MX700 is the usb-ps/2. Works right away. (well, with my logitech cordless optical mouseman anyways)

And by the weight of the mouse, you might think it's a weapon too. Wouldn't wanna get hit with it :p

Cheers for the link, looks like a good site.

Ya, I had some trouble configuring my mx500 in X...It just wouldn't work on the USB port, so I grabbed my nifty USB->PS/2 adapter and bingo :)

May want to try that...not sure if the little reciever for the mx700 comes w/an adapter.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

My super cheapo optical USB mouse works first time in redhat 9.1 and mandrake 9.1. AND knoppix (overclockix) for that matter, and it was only £7 (about $12) :p

Back