• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x1950 pro AGP 512 performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fusion450

Hello i was on a 9800XT and just recently upgraded my video card to a Sapphire x1950pro AGP 512mb and a Mushkin 550W power supply. Everything is installed correctly and the card is up and running but i have seen no real difference in FPS from my 9800XT. Not only that but my friend has a x800 and is running considerably better in terms of FPS. I play quite a bit of Battlefield 2 and run 1280X1024 75Hz and get only about 40 FPS and in some cases it will drop to about 15 FPS. My friend runs the same settings and gets 60-80 FPS. Also when i switch to the lowest settings i only go up about 10-15 FPS. The FPS stays about the same no matter what resolution i change it to. My question is, What is the problem I am having? it is frustrating to spend a bit of money and get no real upgrade.

My CPU is:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP 512 (6.14 drivers) Since the newer drivers make no difference in terms of FPS
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with the most recent Bios
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
550w Mushkin Power Supply (20A on each 12v Rail)
2X Western Digital 120Gb IDE hard drives

Friends Computer:
Pentium 4 2.4 (O/C'd to 2.9)
x800 pro
Soundblaster Audigy 2
400w Powe Supply

Nothing is over-clocked, my monitor runs at 75Hz, V-sync is off, AA is application controlled, Anisotropic is Application controlled. Everything is at default

If there is something i am missing let me know. Thank you and hopefully i can get some input.

fireandice

did you run driver cleaner prior to install?

also probly bottle necking on that cpu quite some bit.

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
fusion450 said:
Hello i was on a 9800XT and just recently upgraded my video card to a Sapphire x1950pro AGP 512mb and a Mushkin 550W power supply. Everything is installed correctly and the card is up and running but i have seen no real difference in FPS from my 9800XT. Not only that but my friend has a x800 and is running considerably better in terms of FPS. I play quite a bit of Battlefield 2 and run 1280X1024 75Hz and get only about 40 FPS and in some cases it will drop to about 15 FPS. My friend runs the same settings and gets 60-80 FPS. Also when i switch to the lowest settings i only go up about 10-15 FPS. The FPS stays about the same no matter what resolution i change it to. My question is, What is the problem I am having? it is frustrating to spend a bit of money and get no real upgrade.

My CPU is:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP 512 (6.14 drivers) Since the newer drivers make no difference in terms of FPS
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with the most recent Bios
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
550w Mushkin Power Supply (20A on each 12v Rail)
2X Western Digital 120Gb IDE hard drives

Friends Computer:
Pentium 4 2.4 (O/C'd to 2.9)
x800 pro
Soundblaster Audigy 2
400w Powe Supply

Nothing is over-clocked, my monitor runs at 75Hz, V-sync is off, AA is application controlled, Anisotropic is Application controlled. Everything is at default

If there is something i am missing let me know. Thank you and hopefully i can get some input.

It sounds like you never installed the MB's AGP (Gart) driver.

Viper

ChinStrap

i know this is from camp NV, but when I upgraded from a Ti4200 to a 6800gs I had this same problem + I was getting the worst artifacts I have ever seen playing COD2 (on stock maps not overclocked). after a night of frustration and a couple of long on holds with BFG (gpu) and MSI (mobo). That is what my problem ended up being. Out of date AGP chipset drivers.

VinnyTAMU

I know it is a pain, but if I were you I would do a Format/Reinstall. Download latest Drivers for both video card and mobo and you should be G2G.

OP
F

fusion450

I have been trying to get on to ASUS's website to check the GART drivers, but their website sucks. I want to do a clean reformat and windows install, but right now i can not. I need to wait until the semester is over. Too many of my classes rely on the computer.

I have run a registry cleaner, O&O defrag, and i only have 16 processes running in the background. I just find it weird that when i switch from LOW graphics in games to High in games, i really notice no difference. It also frustrates me that my buddy who is on a x800 gets better frame rates than me.

Thanks for the replies. Please keep me updated on anything new you can think of.

ViperJohn

Senior Radeon Mod God
fusion450 said:
I have been trying to get on to ASUS's website to check the GART drivers, but their website sucks. I want to do a clean reformat and windows install, but right now i can not. I need to wait until the semester is over. Too many of my classes rely on the computer.

I have run a registry cleaner, O&O defrag, and i only have 16 processes running in the background. I just find it weird that when i switch from LOW graphics in games to High in games, i really notice no difference. It also frustrates me that my buddy who is on a x800 gets better frame rates than me.

Thanks for the replies. Please keep me updated on anything new you can think of.

Asus's website can really be terrible sometimes. I was able to get the drivers (the D/L was slower than
frozen mollasis). If you can not get em shoot me an email and I will attach the drivers in my reply.

Viper

OP
F

fusion450

Ok i ran Aquamark 3 and my score is not all that great. I scored much lower than my friend and it is my CPU that is bottlenecking me. Is there anyway to get some better performance? I know i can overclock the CPU but there is no AGP lock on the motherboard i have. What are some other suggestions?

OP
F

fusion450

Anyone know the latest AMD 64 drivers for this Processor? Also how can i find out the drivers i have? I looked in Device Manager and it looks like i have a microsoft driver (5.1.2600.0 Dated April 1 of 2004)

Phrenetical

Are you running XP?

If so i suggest you do an upgrade install, that will wipe your drivers clean while leaving all your files/installs intack. Then you can install the proper drivers.

Or just as everyone has said go get driver cleaner, and install the proper drivers for oyur card.

OP
F

fusion450

I have fixed the problem. The memory was running at DDR200 instead of DDR400. I want to thank everyone for their advice and help.