• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X299 delidding tool availability update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
DISCLAIMER: This delid tool is mine. I just got it today and I ain't selling it. Just wanted to let people know they are in stock, just google the name. Also, I have no association or interest in this company or product. We will now continue with this public service announcement.

A while back I bought a delidding tool (Der8auer brand). I've never actually used it, because I ended buying a socket 2066 X-series CPU which is larger and won't fit in the tool. Der8auer has designed a new one that will fit the X-series and I see vendors that offer preorders, but I haven't heard of any that have shipped here in the US yet. Their first tool took a long time to be distributed too, so don't hold your breath.

I cast about for alternatives and a fellow OCF member gave me the Rockit Cooling link. I never heard of Rockit Cooling, but they claimed to have the Rockit 99 (for the larger X-series CPUs) in stock. So, I ordered one. They immediately emailed me confirming the order and then soon afterwards, I was notified that it had shipped. It was delivered today, so they are legit. This outfit also has another delidding tool called the Rockit 88, for the normal Intel CPUs.

I have not tried the tool yet, but it looks well made and the pieces fir together nicely. It's also designed to help relid the CPU afterwards (clamps it together). It did not arrive in a fancy box, but does have a little velvet drawstring bag to hold all the parts when not in use.

Price was $39.95 with $8 shipping for me (Kansas). If and when I use it, I'll report back.

Rockit 99 Delidding tool.jpg

Last edited:
Heck no, that's against the law in this forum section. Besides, I never selling anything, you know that. I have a closet overflowing with old computer junk.

Just posting this for informational purposes in case someone is looking for a X299 chipset platform delidding tool. Hate to see people using the razor blade method on a high dollar Skylake-X i9 and killing it. If you do, then drill a little hole through it and wear it on a gold chain. When people ask what it is, you can tell them, "It's a very expensive piece of jewelry."

Seemed like a FS thread to me as well...whats with the explanation? Just delid and report back, LOLOLOLOLOL! :)

Also, my offer stands to any OCF member. I have one of these and willing to ship it to you for delids.....(you pay shipping there and back).

I will delid and get back, as soon as I get another CPU to delid. I do have one on order. The 7740X I currently have was done with a razor blade. I'm not sure if you guys are messing with me or being serious, so I put a disclaimer in the first post. If there is really an issue, just delete the dang thing. Ok, I get it now... it's the title, I changed it...

Earthdoggy, that's great about the loaner program. But, I didn't think you had the X-series one yet? That's the big news here, a socket 2066 delidding tool is finally available. You don't have to risk killing an expensive CPU or maybe slicing a finger open.

Last edited:
Aw batz you know we were just funnin' with ya! ;)

So is the tool just for the 2066 or can you use it on others like the 1151 also?

That's a good question and I'll try to find out the answer.

EDIT: I just checked their website and it says sold out for the 99 version. The way it reads, it sounds like this is only for the socket 2066 CPUs.

Rockit 99 - Delid & Relid kit for SkylakeX
Safe, fast and easy delidding and relidding of the Intel X series CPUs
Precision CNC machined
Tested on i5, i7 & i9 LGA 2066
Everything needed to delid and relid your i7 or i9
Take your LGA 2066 to the limit with the Rockit 99
For the i5, please contact us

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, just pulling your chain. I dont have the X yet, correct. But happy to loan out the other. :)

Pretty you cannot use this with smaller chips... unless it comes with inserts or something.

$50?! I only paid $0.25 for my razor blade and it works great. I've done three processors with it so far.

Also, my offer stands to any OCF member. I have one of these and willing to ship it to you for delids.....(you pay shipping there and back).

If only I'd have known that a week ago when I tore my entire system apart for a rebuild of the water loop...
Next time I guess, no desire to tear it apart again right now.
Awesome offer though!

I bought the rockit 88 kit for my 6600k and 7700k and it works great no issues I even purchased the relid kit even though I planned on having a floating IHS. lo and behold after the 3rd 4th teardown and having to retim the core each time I replaced the IHS on permanently now.

I used the vice method on my 3770k. And im not talking about vice/hammer method. im talking about this one

works great. would do it again if i ever got coffe lake or kaby lake x.
or ryzen

From what ppl say the PCB on kabbyx is alot thinner than the 3770k and the vice method is not recommend .
I thought Ryzen had a soldered IHS (no need to delid) .

The 7740X is indeed flimsy once the IHS is removed. I know from personal experience.

Pretty easy to slice into the PCB with a razor blade. I used a razor blade on my 7740X, but I've also done it in the past to P-4 CPUs. Delidding is risky. The i9 Skylake-X CPUs have delicate circuitry close to the IHS on one side. Very easy to damage. I just spent a big chunk of change on this new 7920X. I consider the tool to be a cheap insurance policy.

Last edited:
Back