• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x470 carbon pro - no uefi m.2 option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mordachai

Hi - yeah - post was lost earlier.

Basically - I've upgraded to a new AMD 2700X on an MSI X47O Carbon Gamer Pro mobo - and I cannot find a way to enable UEFI for the m.2 boot device (it does work in legacy mode).

And it's probably mostly academic... but I'd prefer to have the system setup in UEFI mode.

I already updated the firmware on the M.2 device, and I upgraded the BIOS to 2.30 over the weekend, and I moved the m.2 device - a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe "drive - to M2_1 - in order to get the PCIE x3 lanes - and I can now see that the speed is operating as it should be - but I cannot find an option that allows that drive to be visible as a boot device in UEFI mode.

I've tried using the Advanced and Basic interfaces in the BIOS - and I've dug through all of the onboard and advanced settings I could find.

But every time I set the system to UEFI mode - that drive disappears from the list of bootable devices.

On the MSI forums, someone suggested that the BIOS wasn't updated properly. Maybe so? I'll try doing a full reset tonight.

But I wondered if anyone here knew anything about this?

And I wanted to "dust off" my account here to start reading how others have accomplished their OC's of the AMD 2700x.

Peace, and thank you for any help anyone might have (I'll try to get my sig to update again, now that the BBS is qorking

Last edited:
You'll need to repost your info. We had a temporary issue earlier.

Try different bios versions. There has been a rash of issues with some of the newest bios offerings across the brand name board.

Just to get this straight, when you set your install media to UEFI and the install process starts the drive isn't visible in the Widows GUI for selecting the install partition?

If I set UEFI mode in the bios (advanced or basic - tried both just to be sure) - then the M.2 drive disappears from the list of available boot devices.

Gone.

No way to set it as a boot device, regardless of whatever Windows installer might see.

All other devices have both a legacy and a UEFI version of themselves listed in the boot ordering - but the M.2 only has a Legacy version - which disappears entirely if I set the modality to UEFI only (instead of UEFI + Legacy).

Last edited:
Ok, don't bother with the UEFI settings if you are trying to install an OS to it then boot your OS media in UEFI mode. It should then install to the SSD in UEFI. My Samsung SSD never show UEFI in BIOS but I can install Win10 in UEFI to them. You may have already done that. Check your disk manager and see hown many partitions the 970 has. If it's UEFI then there will be two small ones 500MB and 100MB. If not then there will only be a 500MB partiton

Ok, don't bother with the UEFI settings if you are trying to install an OS to it then boot your OS media in UEFI mode. It should then install to the SSD in UEFI. My Samsung SSD never show UEFI in BIOS but I can install Win10 in UEFI to them. You may have already done that. Check your disk manager and see hown many partitions the 970 has. If it's UEFI then there will be two small ones 500MB and 100MB. If not then there will only be a 500MB partiton

This. You need to make sure you installed the OS in UEFI mode first.

Huh - okay - I'll check that.

and you're saying that it will still boot UEFI w/o being able to set that in the BIOS if I boot to a win installer in UEFI mode and install it from there?

I may have indeed installed it from my USB key in UEFI mode. I'll check tonight.

Back