• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x570 pci-e lanes for nvme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

A quick question regarding how pci-e lanes work on the new platform.

I will run a fast nvme in one slot, with the other empty (for the time being). All x570s seem to have two slots, one under the cpu, one under the chipset. Is there a go-to here? If you're running only one m.2 drive, do you always put it in one over the other? I don't want to lose any of the motherboard features like USB or ethernet or wireless if possible, so I think going under the cpu is the way to go right since it has x4 lanes reserved specifically for the nvme?

And if I do put another nvme in the future, where to put the main OS one, or faster one?

Any info on this is appreciated.

That will depend on the specific motherboard. Also I don't think x570 will have a slow m.2 slot since you can run a minimum of 2 nvme m.2 pcie 4.0 drives, one off the cpu direct and one off the x570 chipset. Unless the motherboard manufacturer implements something else on those Gen4 lanes.

untitled-1.png

from guru3d

Its going to be a six of one half dozen of the other situation I believe.

The manual of the motherboard will tell you which slot does which. But both are bootable. The worst case is a SATA port or two is disabled...but its all in the manual.

EDIT: Graph? Am I not seeing an image?

Yeah, not graph, lol.. the image that explains the connections and pci-e lanes for the chipset and cpu, good stuff, definitely get it now.

ok, I thought it was me missing something... lol!

The chipset diagrams tell the story but it can vary by motherboard as well (hence why checking the manual will be your best resource).

How different can NICs really be? I can't tell the diff between a Gbps Intel vs Realtek. Wifi is a bit different, there are boards now that support ax, but not sure what I'd do with that anyway.

Back