• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x58, i7 920, 6/12gb tri ch ddr3 VERSUS P55, i7 860, 8 or 4gb dual ch ddr3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avendesoran

Registered
Yeah trying to decide on an i7 system build

x58, i7 920, 6 or 12gb tri ch ddr3
VERSUS
P55, i7 860, 8 or 4gb dual ch ddr3

Will be overclocking on water, aiming for 4000mhz

How much ram is overkill? How does ram performance differ between tri/dual channel in this set up? lynnfield/bloomfield, which is better for overclocking? do I need to water cool chipset on the x58/p55 for overclocking?

I want to run 2x 5850's in CFX

thanks

x58/920 hands down. 'Nuff said! 6gb of ram will be plenty (for most people atleast). You get 2 16x PCIe lanes on the x58 (although performance over P55 isnt much, but still you get full potential :D). 920 seems to clock a good deal better than 860. D0 should reach 4ghz with not much voltage. Price is about the same either way you go right now too (cheaper if you can find a MicroCenter).

If overclocking to 4000 on x58, should I include water blocks for chipset or just leave with standard heatsinks?

For 4GHz, you can air cool everything.

Beyond 4.2 GHz HTT I would definitely go water, oh yah I am :)

Benching at 4.6 non HTT on air (cant have HTT enabled past 4.2 ish of cpu throttling kicks in. past 4.6ish wven wihtout HTT throttling kicks in, Ineed a new mobo.

Back