• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X6 1100T Overclocking: Bios settings & temps okay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meteritox

Hey,

after I've read tons of guides, i started to try overclocking my CPU. It seems that i have found a stable configuration, but i want to be sure that everything is correct.

My System:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE
Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO
GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
RAM: 2* 4GB G.Skill F3-10666CL9-4GBNT (1333MHz; 1.5V; 9-9-9-24)
Storage: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500G & Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-530W
Case: NZXT H2 (with stock coolers)

I will add a few pictures of my bios configuration and CPU-Z/HWMonitor after 4 hours successful Prime blend test.

My questions are:
1. Are all the settings I did okay? Anything I should change?
2. Is there any way to get the temps down? Is it save to run the system at these temps? I read something about a max of 55° of the cores.

I did some things to eliminate some possible mistakes. Maybe this helps to find a problem with my cooling...
- With an open case the maximum temperatures HWMonitor shows sinks to around 59° (socket) and 51° (cores).
- I manually measured some temps via infrared while running Prime:
CPU Cooler: 24°C (is it usual that it's that cold?)
Socket: 40°C
Passive cooler of the TPU/EPU unit on the mainboard: 60°C
- I already exchanged the heatsink paste because of the low CPU cooler temp, but it changed nothing

Thanks in advance for your help :) If there is any missing information I will give it to you as fast as I can ;)

blendtest.jpg
bios1.jpg
bios2.jpg
bios3.jpg
bios4.jpg

Your temps seem fine from what you have described. I'm having trouble with the HWMonitor pics because I'm at work. One thing I would do is drop the HT speed to 2000, you don't see any gains by running it faster and can cause stability issues. The only other thing is the ram. I would try to run it at a higher speed or tighter timings or both. Most of the thubans can handle ram in the 1600 range without any trouble really. With the timings you have now I would try to bump the ram up to 1600 with 1.6-1.65v and see how it runs.

Your temps and your settings look appropriate to me. Just make sure it's really stable by running the Prime95 "blend" mode test for two hours without blue screen, restarts, lockup or any of the core workers dropping out. At 59c your max core temps are on the edge. But if it's stable that's what counts. 59c is not high enough to do damage to the CPU but it is high enough to possibly create instability. Same for your CPU (i.e. socket) temp. It's on the ragged edge. You might want to put a small spot fan to blow on the VRM heat sinks and/or put a spot fan on the backside of the motherboard to blow on the socket area.

I first had the HT speeds at 2000, but i always got stability problems with it. It ran more stable with CPU-NB and HT at the same speed...no idea why :D

The RAM: Isn't there any problem with setting this ram to a higher voltage (and speed) than stock (1.5V)?

Your temps seem fine from what you have described. I'm having trouble with the HWMonitor pics because I'm at work. One thing I would do is drop the HT speed to 2000, you don't see any gains by running it faster and can cause stability issues. The only other thing is the ram. I would try to run it at a higher speed or tighter timings or both. Most of the thubans can handle ram in the 1600 range without any trouble really. With the timings you have now I would try to bump the ram up to 1600 with 1.6-1.65v and see how it runs.

The Thuban core CPUs seemed to like the HT Link and CPU/NB to stay in lock step or close to it.

I agree that the memory controller of the Thuban series is usually up to handling the RAM at 1600 mhz. Whether or not there is any real gain in performance to be had from doing so is debatable. Throwing more data at the CPU with higher memory frequency doesn't help if the CPU is already saturated which tends to be the case with most of our computers. Where you really see the benefit of fast ram is when you get into server class systems with multiple CPUs and many cores.

Last edited:
The Thuban core CPUs seemed to like the HT Link and CPU/NB to stay in lock step or close to it.

I agree that the memory controller of the Thuban series is usually up to handling the RAM at 1600 mhz. Whether or not there is any real gain in performance to be had from doing so is debatable. Throwing more data at the CPU with higher memory frequency doesn't help if the CPU is already saturated which tends to be the case with most of our computers. Where you really see the benefit of fast ram is when you get into server class systems with multiple CPUs and many cores.

Agreed for the HT link : my 1075T and 1090T liked matching HT/NB.

Regarding the RAM, well, 1600 would not hurt, right? ;)

Agreed for the HT link : my 1075T and 1090T liked matching HT/NB.

Regarding the RAM, well, 1600 would not hurt, right? ;)

I guess I just never noticed that, I've had 2 different 1090s and I ran them both hard . Always kept the HT around 2000. I guess that could be because I ran the NB as high as possible for the chip.

I want to say that not all 1xxxTs are capable of the same things. The one that I broke could run 4.0 with 2000 memory and 3250 NB at decent voltage but I have sen many that won't even run at 4.0. It's always a lottery.

^Yep, I've been lucky with the ones I got (these were the 1.55v 24/7 OC on a NH-D14!).

Very close to my 1090T actually.

Man! 22°C? Canadian river water I guess!

I first had the HT speeds at 2000, but i always got stability problems with it. It ran more stable with CPU-NB and HT at the same speed...no idea why :D

The RAM: Isn't there any problem with setting this ram to a higher voltage (and speed) than stock (1.5V)?

Just noticed in from your first post that your ram is rated for 1333 mhz. Then don't try to run it at 1600.

Back