• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800pro or 6800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nightingale

I am not trying to copy the countless threads that are very much like this. I have been looking at alot of the reviews but most are pretty vague or show favoritism to one card or another. Anyhow overall which card performs best once oced? I understand that either is a good choice, but oced which one performs better? I am considering a vivo version of the X800 pro (or the asus version which lacks vivo oddly enough). One last thing is does anyone know when the Asus 6800GT will ship? Well thanks for the headsup in advance.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Well never mind I ended up just getting a 9800pro 128mb black pcb(256bit) card to be more economical then 400+ for the new cards. Plus at less then half the price(190 with shipping) and half the performance its not a bad buy I suppose(hope its a good overclocker). Sorry for the trouble, but the post could be of use to someone else unless the mods feel it appriate to delete this.

Nandro

Disabled
Yea, for 190 you cant go wrong. Even the 6800NU is around $300 I believe. I just got a buddy of mine a 5800NU for $100 which was his limit and it was new in box so I had to do it. I really wanted to get him a 9700pro, but they were $25 out of his budget and lrd knows that extra 25 would have broke him...

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

well with the money I saved I am getting an auidy gamer ZS limited edition soundcard, pair of zalman 5.1 headphones, and another 80 gig to get my old 550mhz computer up and running as a file server. The 9800 pro will be more then enough for my needs until sometime next year when I will probably get a new motherboard with PCI-E and then I will upgrade the graphics to one of these new cards(by then the pricing should be more affordable). Anyhow I am happy to get any new video card since it will be such an improvement from the card in my sig lol.

Last edited:

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Meaning no insult what-so-ever, the 9800 is more than enough card for your present setup as indicated in your sig. Heck, it had more to give when I ran it at 3.8 on my 2.8c.

micamica1217

Silver said:
Meaning no insult what-so-ever, the 9800 is more than enough card for your present setup as indicated in your sig. Heck, it had more to give when I ran it at 3.8 on my 2.8c.

I have to agree, the ATI cards seem to "wake up" once you give them a faster cpu/system speed.

mica

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Well I will be using it in my Opteron rig not my p4 rig. Also I plan to upgrade the opterons next year to 250's or dual core opterons (quad computing)and probably get an Nforce board. Anyhow I think I will be happy with the 9800 for a long while anyhow. This AIW has made me pretty happy for the past 3 years so I can only imagine the 9800pro will just blow me away in contrast.