• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG X99 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Ok so to not clutter up my other build thread more, I think it's best to start another log strictly for my build. Here's where I am at and all parts have been ordered:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/#view=kj9gXL

Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Binned 4.5)
Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card
Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
Dell U2715H 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse
Corsair H110i GTX AIO
(3) Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans

The X99 build that pops up is the build I am referencing. Not the other two in the list.
Sticking with the Define R5 for the time being :thup:

Thanks
:thup:

Edit: So last night I ordered the H110i GTX to fit the front of the R5. I decided I will do a custom loop at some point but later on. Right now I'd rather get a really good chair for the desk, and solid head phones and a DAC etc. Also the 980 I'm getting has the ACX 2.0 cooler like the 970 I had did and it runs quiet and cool. So just keeping it a bit more simple for now, but the guts of the build are still there. :thup:

Last edited:
I know I throw this out there a lot, but that R5's styling is pretty similar to the Corsair 750D, and at a similar price point. Here soon, I'll be fitting 45mm 360, 45mm 240 and 30mm 240 rads in this case to cool my rig, and that'll be overkill. It'll be about right for that rig, if I'm not mistaken (little overkill for SLI 980s with your rig, single is going to be way overkill obviously).

I know I throw this out there a lot, but that R5's styling is pretty similar to the Corsair 750D, and at a similar price point. Here soon, I'll be fitting 45mm 360, 45mm 240 and 30mm 240 rads in this case to cool my rig, and that'll be overkill. It'll be about right for that rig, if I'm not mistaken (little overkill for SLI 980s with your rig, single is going to be way overkill obviously).

Definitely overkill but my train of thought is two fold, and if I am incorrect I have no issue being told so, just going off of my research here.

1) I live in South, FL. And here it is hot and humid basically year round, with the summers being brutal. Every summer seems to get worse too. So I figured (to an extent) some extra rad space would come in handy.

2) It seems to not have an airplane sounding of a system, it's best to go a little over kill on low FPI rads and run your fans at lower speeds? Is this correct?

Guys would an AIO such as the EK Predator or similar Swiftech kit be a good choice for the 5820K? My gpu from the reviews runs cool on air, and the 970 I had was great with the similar ACX 2.0 cooler.

This would get the PC up and running a lot faster for me and leave me room to expand for the GPU or SLI later.........

Thoughts?

The thing about going AIO is, even with the expandable ones, adding GPUs to the loop will eventually require a more powerful pump. That, plus the cost of more tubing, a reservoir (for filling), blocks for the GPU(s) and more radiators adds up to the cost and maintenance requirements of a custom loop from the start.

I think you'd be better off going with a kit like this. Most of those parts are highly reusable (that radiator is one of the best, even at 30mm think, in my opinion), and you can just add another pump in series if flow rates start to drop.

I keep going back and forth between a Corsair 110i GTX and leaving the GPU on air vs custom loop......

Well, not a lotr of feedback here, so after reading A LOT, and much back and forth and consideration I decided on a Corsair 110i GTX 280MM AIO for the CPU, and leaving the GPU on air. I did order a third Noctua NF-A14 PWM fan for the rear, and will install the two on hand on the AIO when it comes in. Leaving the modu vents on the top of the case the system should still perform well and be quiet and cool, but not break the bank so much as a full custom loop would at this time. I can always upgrade that later on as I go. The motherboard and RAM arrived today and the mobo really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated, the pictures do not do it any justic.

You'll probably need 4 of those in push/pull...the static pressure is not high and the radiator on the H110i FTX is 21 FPI

You'll probably need 4 of those in push/pull...the static pressure is not high and the radiator on the H110i FTX is 21 FPI

Wow didn't realize, just figured these are quiet and would be an upgrade from the stock corsair fans on the AIO. Lot of people complain about the noise with the ippc fans hence why I didn't go that route, and after using Noctua's in my wife's build and her NH-D14 I was very pleased with their performance and sound.

Edit: After reading through the front page 140mm fan review, I think these fans in push only as intake will do just fine. I can always add two more but don't think it will be an issue.

Last edited:
Anything is better than the fans that come with it...they are loud.

I use 4 Prolimatech in push/pull (got a nice 4 pack deal on Amazon) and two of those Noctua as intakes...quiet system.

Anything is better than the fans that come with it...they are loud.

I use 4 Prolimatech in push/pull (got a nice 4 pack deal on Amazon) and two of those Noctua as intakes...quiet system.

Ok Thanks, I will start fitting everything today as stuff arrives and order two more fans if I have the room. Which I think shouldn't be a problem .

- - - Updated - - -

Just keep in mind that when/if you go SLI, the top card will get quite warm, limiting your overclock/boost.

If/When I go SLI there will be blocks on the cards.

I just realized I am not sure this thread is in the right sub-forum could a mod please move it to the correct location :thup:

Began setup tonight with installing the CPU and RAM onto the mobo. Will continue tomorrow and wrap it up Wed when the GPU arrives. This motherboard is a work of art, the back plate on it my goodness. :thup:

IMG_20160208_213132547_zpsjf6bhgrd.jpg

Got some more work done today as the AIO came in. Real nice and easy case to work with and just such great quality to the case and it's components. I flipped the hinges for the door to open the opposite way up front, removed the HDD cages and optical bay caddy, Put the Noctua's up front as intakes on the AIO, and put the other Noctua on the rear for exhaust. I installed the included fan on the mother board for the VRM's and got the mother board in the case as well with the I/O plate of course. I mounted my SSD's on the rear, and now just waiting for the GPU and the PSU which are set to arrive tomorrow. Then I can get the GPU settled in and finish my wiring and cable management and fire it up.

IMG_20160209_125322344_zpsvanuzwwb.jpg

IMG_20160209_132141127_zpsvek1bdob.jpg

IMG_20160209_132201097_zpswuokjuwu.jpg

IMG_20160209_132436467_zpscjokmpby.jpg

IMG_20160209_132508057_zpsohddfdca.jpg

IMG_20160209_133433897_zpsjighy7uk.jpg

Thanks I'm trying, it really has not been as difficult as I expected on this build.

Got the CPU block/pump on and the front panel connected.

IMG_20160209_171656651_zpsc4pbfame.jpg

IMG_20160209_171721736_zps3rli50ng.jpg

Back