• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBL Renewal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KlinkB

So I sold my xbox a few months ago to a buddy of mine. I just got charged 20 dollars for a Xbox live renewal. I never set it up to have it automatically taken out so I dont know how that happened. I would always pay whenever my subscription ran out. I checked on xbox.com and it is setup for the automatic payments. Do you guys think I'll be able to get my money back? I haven't been signed into xbl since I sold it..

OP
KlinkB

KlinkB

What makes it even more weird is that the kid I sold it too just renewed his.. It took my payment and his at the same time.. I accused him of using my account info at first but he showed me his bank statement..

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
So I sold my xbox a few months ago to a buddy of mine. I just got charged 20 dollars for a Xbox live renewal. I never set it up to have it automatically taken out so I dont know how that happened. I would always pay whenever my subscription ran out. I checked on xbox.com and it is setup for the automatic payments. Do you guys think I'll be able to get my money back? I haven't been signed into xbl since I sold it..

Call MS tell them that you and him both got charged, and that you want the charge removed from your account. If they refuse, though I doubt they will, you can always have your bank reverse it.

FudgeNuggets

I don't know about them giving you refunds but I can tell you that they won't remove your credit card numbers from your account. I tried and failed. I have cards on there that have been expired for 3 years :(

rainless

Old Member

Never EVER give Microsoft your credit card number. This should be a sticky.

They did the same thing to me after I sold MY X-box.

I actually canceled my account online and they STILL charged me. (My subscription ran out a month before I sold my x-box, so I switched from one year auto to one month no auto renew and they STILL charged me for the next three months.)

I had to call and do an EXTREME amount of yelling and cursing. They reversed no fees, but you could always call your credit card company and deny the charges.

OP
KlinkB

KlinkB

yea it ****es me off.. i never set it up for automatic payments but all of a sudden it randomly takes money out of my account.. its funny because that never happened when i actually had the console.. ill have to my bank a call.. that might be the easiest route

FudgeNuggets

I've learned my lesson with credit cards. Never set up autodebit for ANYTHING. If you want MS points or XBL months, go buy one of those prepaid cards from the store.

Romulox

M$ now lets you delete credit card info from xbox.com.
Go to your account > Xbox live market place> Manage payment options. You can delete credit cards form there. I add and delete cards so I don't have to deal with this BS.

AresOlSkool

Registered
This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option.

FudgeNuggets

M$ now lets you delete credit card info from xbox.com.
Go to your account > Xbox live market place> Manage payment options. You can delete credit cards form there. I add and delete cards so I don't have to deal with this BS.

yeah, been there, tried that. It's the ole MS fake-out

Romulox

I just added and removed a credit card.

removedt.jpg

RoC1909

The word "Convenience" is a term that a lot of companies throw around and is synonymous with "Auto Renewal".

I hate that crap worth a passion. "If after your 30 day trial and you still enjoy PRODUCT A, then do nothing! We wil bill you at the regular price of YADA YADA!"

Similar to these "free trials" that you see everywhere on the Internet. I wanted to do a 15 day trial of some service, but when I was filling out the form, they wanted to know my CC information. There was also a link to WHY they ask for this info. There are many excuses they come up with for wanting this info (age verification, security....) but it ALWAYS comes down to the company hoping the consumer forgets the "trial end date" hence, the consumer getting screwed over. I ended up writing a brief message to the company telling them in no uncertain terms to "stick it."

This "auto renewal" practice ought to be outlawed or the option to "auto renewal" should be the SECONDARY OPTION...and not default to it.