• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XBOX 360 Arcade or PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Which is better for playing media streamed from a PC media server. I already stream to my PS3 and it is great but for the money I cant see buying another for streaming play if the 360 is just as capable for 100 less.

That may be an option, I did not mention gaming because I did not want a furball:) but playing games is a secondary requirement ATM and I know the 360 Arcade is linited but the games it comes with will be subtitle (very young children to entertain).

EDIT: It wont work ATM for me as I have not wired the house yet.

Last edited:
ps3 sure its very good and have agood graphics

but i have anuther sugest

why you dont buy ps2 if you have small problems with $ $ :D

take care of your self :)

If you got a ps3 already why not get a arcade then watch craigslist for a 20 gb hd or a 60 or go or just make your own hd for it.

ATM I am going to use my current PS3 for one room as I don't need an HTPC next to a ps3 anyway:) Might look into the XBOX capabilities a little more in depth.

ATM I am going to use my current PS3 for one room as I don't need an HTPC next to a ps3 anyway:) Might look into the XBOX capabilities a little more in depth.

The 360 is obviously going to be inferior as far as the different types of media you can play.

Now a USED ps3 won't be much more expensive than a new 360 arcade... and they've got downloadable games every bit as child friedly as what comes with a 360 arcade.

You also said your home wasn't wired-up...

Well the PS3 has a built in wireless adapter and the 360's adapter is a hundred bucks.

That would be the end of the story for me.

You could easily stream media, even between floors, with the built-in wireless adapter of the second PS3.

Hell... you could probably do all that from the first PS3 if you have some sort of receiving device on the other floor.

The 360 is obviously going to be inferior as far as the different types of media you can play.

Now a USED ps3 won't be much more expensive than a new 360 arcade... and they've got downloadable games every bit as child friedly as what comes with a 360 arcade.

You also said your home wasn't wired-up...

Well the PS3 has a built in wireless adapter and the 360's adapter is a hundred bucks.

That would be the end of the story for me.

You could easily stream media, even between floors, with the built-in wireless adapter of the second PS3.

Hell... you could probably do all that from the first PS3 if you have some sort of receiving device on the other floor.

Yeah I have done the math and decided it would be cheaper to buy a MB as I have everything else so I guess it will be another HTPC:)

Thanks for the replies.

even thought its a bi late i was going to suggest, if you were using netflix, on a PS3 you wont have to pay extra, infactyou can get a PS3 CD now for when they activate the service. On a 360, you have to pay for LIVE to be able to use netflix which your paying for to begin with so it about doubles (in a sence) the cost of your net flix to watch it on the sex box

^+1

I have a 360 and although the online service is very good, certainly better designed than the playstation one IMO, I can't bring myself to pay $5 a month for it.

I can play online with a PS3 or my PC-- but if I want to do it with my Xbox 360, I have to pay for the service.

I don't get it.

Every time I think of getting the gold card at the store I think it but my hand won't grab it off the rack. I just can't do it.

I found a solution:) bought a Eee for the daughters Christmas present. That covers all rooms in the house.

Back