• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon idle at 50C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vergil

Hi, this is my first post, hopefully I'm posting here the proper way.

I have 2x E5 2665 v1 with Noctua U12DX-i4

After turning on the PC it idles at 35-45 (coolest / hottest core), but slowly goes up to 39/49C

Room temp is 26C and I noticed that my GTX580 is running at full clock all the time (52C at idle). I'm using a high-res display, at lower resolutions the GPU downclocks itself but not at 3440x1440. I'm getting a new GPU soon anyway, do you think that will solve the problem?

Summer + GPU heating up the case is enough reason to run this hot? I did not dare running prime95 at this state, but during Cinebench the maximum temps are 56-65C (depending on core).

Fan is only at 500 rpm, but that should be enough for idle imo.

Pretty much any kind of help / advice would be much appreciated. :cry:

Update: I cranked up the CPU fan, idle is unchanged, Cinebench is 52-61C now (max temp, not average).

Last edited:

Alaric

How much airflow does your case have? Fans, etc. and what kind of case is it? And it doesn't surprise me that a GPU four generations old is struggling with that resolution. That may be your heat source. Does taking the side panel off the computer help? Maybe set up a fan to blow on it with the panel removed and see if that helps. Otherwise I would check the thermal paste and voltage in the BIOS.

OP
V

Vergil

How much airflow does your case have? Fans, etc. and what kind of case is it? And it doesn't surprise me that a GPU four generations old is struggling with that resolution. That may be your heat source. Does taking the side panel off the computer help? Maybe set up a fan to blow on it with the panel removed and see if that helps. Otherwise I would check the thermal paste and voltage in the BIOS.

Thanks for helping. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe with the 3 fans that came with the chassy. I removed the 2nd HDD cage to get more air from the front fan. I changed the resolution to 1080p 60Hz and temps are much better now. GPU core dropped from 800+ Mhz to 50mhz and temp dropped from 52C to 40C on the GPU. Windows is telling me that the CPU is running at 2600-3100 Mhz which must be the turbo speed. There's nothing running and my i7 2600K (my previous build) stayed at 1600 Mhz at idle. Both are Sandy Bridge so I don't really understand why the Xeons need more to do nothing. :bang head

CPU one and two temps. The hot cores are the ones running at turbo I guess.

Update: CPU frequency is fixed, Samsungs's SSD app was messing with the power settings. All cores are at 1200 Mhz now, unfortunately temps are still the same. Also I set the CPU fan profile from general to high. Load temps are lower but idle is unchanged. I guess the air in the chassy is the problem not the CPU cooler.

Attachments

• paint.png
    paint.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
OP
V

Vergil

1080p, rear fan turned up (louder but still tolerable), side panel off

The 2 CPUs are now at similar temps so I only post one of them

rear.png

Update:

I did stress testing with Prime 95 and temps stopped rising at 60C, which is imo an acceptable temp for a 26C room. This was with sidepanel off. CPU and CPU cooler is fine it seems, it's the chassy airflow that needs to be redone. I'm getting a new GPU in a few weeks so that's no problem either.

Last edited:

Alaric

I have that case and haven't found any deficiencies in air flow. If the filters are clean, it still wouldn't hurt to double check the thermal paste and CPU cooler mounting. Not that I doubt your skills, I just always check the stuff I've screwed up in the past. LOL :) Glad you're making good progress, though. :thup:

Tír na nÓg

Same here, great airflow!

I would have said "change the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink", but you have 2 CPU's and there is not much chance that both mounts have flaws. What is the voltage set to?

When you use lower res, does the temp drop?

OP
V

Vergil

Same here, great airflow!

I would have said "change the thermal paste and reseat the heatsink", but you have 2 CPU's and there is not much chance that both mounts have flaws. What is the voltage set to?

When you use lower res, does the temp drop?

Yes, this is how it was originally:

idle: 45-49C on CPU, 52C on GPU
100% load on CPU: temps on CPU went above 70C, I got scared so I stopped stress testing and made this thread instead :D
100% load on GPU: dunno

The followings all decreased temps:
-Removing the low noise adapter from rear fan
-Changing CPU cooler profile to high, rpm is now 800-1300 depending on load
-Dropping resolution to an officially supported resolution such as 1920x1080
-Removing the 2nd HDD cage and connecting the front fan to the mobo instead of the fan controller of the case, so now it runs at 700 rpm all the time. It's a low rpm fan, controlling it together with the higher rpm 140mm fans was a mistake.
-Removing the sidepanel
-Putting a 200mm fan (from my old PC) next to the 140mm on the top, as you can see from the picture it is not a permanent solution but it made me realize that a single 140mm on top is not enough to deal with the heat at the top, also when I placed my hand above the CPU coolers without the 200mm fan the air was hot and not moving, with the 200mm I could feel a little wind and the air was colder. I'm gonna buy a 200mm Phanteks fan and replace the 140mm on top. The 140mm will go next to the 200mm or to the bottom as intake.
-Removing both HDD cages.

With sidepanel and top off and that ugly 200mm fan on top (room temp is 27C):
idle: CPU 30-40C (most cores are parked, 2-4 are active to run the OS so 10C difference is normal), 33C for GPU
100% load on CPU: 55-60C, from time to time one core goes to 61C or even 62C but goes back immediately
Gaming: (GPU 100%, CPU1 at 40-50%, CPU2 under 10%): CPU1 45-50C, CPU2 40-45C, GPU 62C

I'm getting a 200mm and a 140mm Phanteks fan this Saturday to replace the "temporary solutions" in the above list.

Thx for the help again, I made quite a lot of progress today :cheers:

My unorthodox fan installing :p

WP_20160721_12_50_29_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited: