• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon W3670 (6 Core - 12 Threads) and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R ( rev. 1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GeoDevid

hey guys, I just sold my dual xeon rig, and bought GA-X58A-UD3R ( rev. 1) for normal performance .... was tired of dual xeon rig bugs...
I won auction on ebay for Xeon W3670 60$ and wondering will it work in my motherboard ? official site says that it only supports W3680 and W3690... what the hack ? why not W3670 ? :confused:
i'm really confused, can someone clear this out for me? :confused:

also this website says that it will support that xeon, but I cant trust it...

http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/Intel/Xeon/Xeon_Processor_W3670/2329/Compatible_Motherboards

thanks all !

Here is the link to Gigabyte's own list for that board. Your CPU is also not listed there. If it were me, I'd probably try it out anyway. You could also give a shot at contacting Gigabyte's customer service.

Here is the link to Gigabyte's own list for that board. Your CPU is also not listed there. If it were me, I'd probably try it out anyway. You could also give a shot at contacting Gigabyte's customer service.

yeah I know whats in official support list, but i'm confused because there are more higher versions of W series but not W3670...
no one tried it here ? or at last knows someone who tried?

Note: please treat this list as a guide; while we strive to maintain accuracy for all our components we cannot guarantee that our data is 100% accurate.

That makes perfect sense....no reason to waste a few minutes contacting Giga since you read on the internet it might not yield the results you want. :thup:

Should work fine as long as the BIOS is halfway up to date.

Had one of those boards back in the day, ran all kinds of different Xeon CPU's in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one CPU microcode file typically contain information for nearly a whole product line in it? I know when I updated the microcode on my mediasmart server bios I could run any 771 xeon just from one file. My guess is all or nearly all of the W series should utilize the same built in microcode.

Not necessarily.

My guess is all or nearly all of the W series should utilize the same built in microcode.
You answer your own question right here. ;)
If it's not part of "nearly all", it won't work.

I know for a fact the W35XX and W36XX don't use the exact same microcode.

thanks all ! and even sarcastic comments....

I know for a fact the W35XX and W36XX don't use the exact same microcode.

but I guess W3670 and W3680 share the same microcode ?
if no, it makes no sense, it's the same cpu only difference is 6.4qpi and 4.8qpi, also a bit higher clock... thats it... same cache,same architecture,same instructions,same TDP...

Not necessarily.

You answer your own question right here. ;)
If it's not part of "nearly all", it won't work.

So after searching the W3670, W3680, W3690 all use the 206C2 microcode (at least the retail ones)... Thanks for trying though!

I realize that this doesn't equate to working for sure, but I'd say the chances are very good...

Last edited:
So after searching the W3670, W3680, W3690 all use the 206C2 microcode (at least the retail ones)... Thanks for trying though!

I realize that this doesn't equate to working for sure, but I'd say the chances are very good...

thanks for research ! I already bought W3670 so wish me luck !
I really wish it will work out, cuz, if no , I would need to sell it in my country, and that's pain in ***...

boooiiis, great news, it booted ok with Xeon w3670 and 4gb 1600mhz ram.
will post bios version and all info here soon !

Back