• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon with 800 FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I was checking out prices for >2 ghz Xeon's today, when it struck me they were all 533 FSB.

Aren't XEON's out in 800 FSB yet?

Cheers, Flix

I would hazard a guess that they aren't available with an 800MHz FSB due to the requirements for dual processors. Getting two processors and the chipset to work together at 800MHz is a fair amount harder than one processor, though Intel could make it happen it they thought it was worth it.

While Xeons max out at 533Mhz FSB, there is a recent board that supports them that is based on a 875 chipset. This could open up potentially interesting overclocking options, but sadly it seems there is not too much room left in the Xeon top end cores. Furthermore, the EE chip has the cache boon now too, so the need to go Xeon is as good as gone.
Anyway, I thought it was a nice curiosity when I read about it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030827/index.html

With the current price tag on the Xeon's I would've loved to seem them at 800 FSB. Then I'd really get serious on getting myself a duallie for TSQL programming and web-serving...

and well.. *cough* play a game of SC4 or two without all that twitching and hacking.

Flix

Back