• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFI Sound Blaster xtremegamer soundcard driver question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crb806

I just installed this sound card on my new i7 build, but i havnt used the install disk that contains the drivers and additional software. Do I need to install the drivers for the sound card to be functional? On the box is says it was designed for windows XP so i assume its a really old card. The reason i didnt install anything from the disk yet is i dont want to install alot of BS apps along with the drivers.

SuperDave1685

I have the same card you. Have you been to creative's website to check to see if they have Windows 7 drivers? You can install from the CD I believe in W7 just fine. Just choose custom install and un-check all the programs you don't want.

OP
crb806

crb806

Nobody reads. I swear. Nobody reads any more. He's using XP.

I'm actually using Windows 7. I just said that i assume the card was really old since it has a badge on it saying its optimized for XP or something like that.
basically my question is.. Ive installed the sound card but do i also need to install drivers for it to be functional?

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Nobody reads. I swear. Nobody reads any more. He's using XP.
Oh, sweet irony.

I'm actually using Windows 7. I just said that i assume the card was really old since it has a badge on it saying its optimized for XP or something like that.
basically my question is.. Ive installed the sound card but do i also need to install drivers for it to be functional?
Yes, you will need to install drivers for it. Creative's website should have the driver downloads for them. If there are no "Windows 7 drivers" listed, you could always try the most recent OS listed for it (be it Vista, XP, etc).

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Neither the drivers or the software that comes on the install disk is compatible w/ Win7, and Win7 doesn't natively support the X-Fi. Creative has released Win7 compatible drivers, MediaSource 5, and WaveStudio for the X-Fi XG... but nothing else as of yet. In fact WaveStudio and MS 5 were just released within the past week...

http://support.creative.com/Product...SET=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_15853,VARSET=CategoryID:1