• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX's new silent revision for the 6970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TigerLord

Registered
XFX has silently released a new revision for their "reference" 6970 model, the HD697ACNFC. They're calling it v1.1
IMGP4242.jpg

There is no way to know this by simply looking at the shroud design or model number. You must either inspect the PCB under the stock cooler or look at the sticker on the back of the PCB.

Upon further inspection of the PCB, I noticed several things:
-The use of cheaper SMT components
-The speaker is missing
-A memory power phase is missing
-There is a ceramique cap and a few inductors near the PCIe power plugs

A picture:
IMGP4240.jpg

What a REAL ref PCB looks like:
front.jpg

Furthermore, full cover blocks, such as the EK 6970 Reference Design block I had ordered, will not fit this card. I have written to EK about this, but judging by their own cooling configurator, they did not know about the revisions either.

http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/...ine?height=260&width=530&inline_id=comp_table

No resellers seem to know either, because I could not find a single indication on any vendor's site that a new HD697ACNFC revision existed, and to be careful with the ordering process.

So in essence, I am stuck with a 120$ paper weight and a lesser card, for the same amount of money XFX charged me. I did write to XFX, but they have not yet replied.

In short: if you're looking at getting a block for your 6970, do check the revision if applicable, or you'll be in for a surprise.

OP
T

TigerLord

Registered
XFX replied to my ticket:

Hi *****,

The 6970 cards have gone through a revision change, and unfortunately not all the retailers have updated the images to reflect that current revision. Unfortunately that original design that you are refering to was manufactured for such a short period that we dont even have those available for RMA. If its not exactly what you were looking for your setup, unfortunately the best course of action would be to return it to the place of purchase, as again, we dont even have those original revisions in our RMA stock currently.

- Erik

They seem to be missing the fact that they made important PCB design changes but failed to indicate that in the model name (at least changing the last two letters would hint at something being different), thus making many third party coolers or blocks obsolete.

What a bunch of amateur.

soyea

Registered
you wrote them and your nickname was *****? lol

how do you know that that those smt components are cheaper? I bought my 6950 ref 2 gig and its a really good card, good overclocker which brought me to a conclusion that I will be an xfx customer for a long while but since you wrote about cheaper components that of course means it wont be a good oc?

Theocnoob

XFX replied to my ticket:

They seem to be missing the fact that they made important PCB design changes but failed to indicate that in the model name (at least changing the last two letters would hint at something being different), thus making many third party coolers or blocks obsolete.

What a bunch of amateur.

Idiots. Welcome to my blacklist XFX. If you're going to throw nonsense around, you need to back it up.

IMGP4240.jpg

"new reference design" with no AMD silkscreen near the connector. *cough*LIES*cough*...

And ya... a 'new reference design' that moves the screw holes. I BET. Wow...
No this apple is an orange I swear.

OP
T

TigerLord

Registered
you wrote them and your nickname was *****? lol

how do you know that that those smt components are cheaper? I bought my 6950 ref 2 gig and its a really good card, good overclocker which brought me to a conclusion that I will be an xfx customer for a long while but since you wrote about cheaper components that of course means it wont be a good oc?

It's evident by simply comparing my current PCB versus the real reference one. They took out components, replaced some with cheaper ones, etc.

The most frustrating thing is that they fundamentally changed the PCB design by moving stuff around, including screw holes, but did not change the model number to indicate that. And you won't know until you check behind the card and see the "V1.1".

To check the PCB sticker you need to open the card, thus making the returning of it difficult (they'll charge a 15% restocking fee in Canada whether it be NCIX or NewEgg).

You can't just change a card, keep the same model number, but add "V1.1" on ONE lone sticker and call it a day and doing that without telling anyone. It's dishonest and shady.

NCIX will not take the card back without me paying the 15$ restocking fee (about 50$) + 20$ shipping... so XFX wants me to take a 70$ loss for their own incompetence in the matter.

I'll just sell the block at a 5-10$ loss and order another one, but this is the last time I buy anything XFX.

charles1

Registered
yeah very bad on their end but hey one of the very few companies that still offers lifewtime warranty. Though only if you live in California LOL. I returned an xfx card that was 5 years old they took replaced no questions asked.

Oh well XFX has failed me by pushing this V1.1 card epic fail on their part

NiceguyEdy

This is my first post, yay me!

Anyway, I got bit by this issue as well. Very deceiving as newegg has not updated the product info to reflect that this is not a reference design card. I will be trying to return both of the cards to newegg. I'm more worried about trying to return the two waterblocks, which are unopened and unused.

I must admit, I find this type of behavior by XFX rather shady.

Rattle

XFX have always been shady if you ask me with there non ref releases of cards. SO CHEAP, they use junk components. At least before you knew before you bought it though...

stunt

Wow, that's just wrong. especially considering the cost of components these days. It does have an OCZ type flashback feel to it.

If I used that card in a customer build and the customer discovered it, who do you think they would blame for being cheap?

Sc4r3d

Registered
I have never had any issues with my XFX cards, never any issues with the warranty, maybe I am a lucky one?

That is a bummer that block won't fit. I had the same issue with my 5770's only I bought 2 blocks lol. Luckily one of the best online water shops took them back for me, but only b/c I am local and spend a ton of money with him!

Steven-1979

Just recieved a MSI 6970 from newegg which was also advertised as reference with the backplate / AMD stamp and instead got a non-ref similar to this one. Looking at the XFX pcb, I notice similar changes on the MSI card including the missing vrm / phase, etc

Last edited:

vixro

Just recieved a MSI 6970 from newegg which was also advertised as reference with the backplate / AMD stamp and instead got a non-ref similar to this one. Looking at the XFX pcb, I notice similar changes on the MSI card including the missing vrm / phase, etc

It's a probably fix to the unlocking reference designs issue. Were either of you able to unlock this new "reference" design?