• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xml

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
XML is just a way of storing information. You need a style sheet in order to format the data in a more meaningful way. Did thebenchmark program generate any other files?

Or can you load the results into the benchmark software (something like File>Open)?

If I remember correctly the software was PCMark. Everytime I save the result, it came out in XML. IF I remember correctly, IE5 was able to view XML, correct? So why not IE6? I tried to open using word, no luck.

IE5 and IE6 should display it the same.

If you look at the XML, the file is something like
Code:
<thing>
  <subthing1>Blah</subthing1>
  <subthing2>Blah</subthing2>
</thing>

At the top of the file, you need to have a style sheet statement in order for it to format. The top of your XMl should look something like this;

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO8859-1" ?>_
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="crazystylesheet.xsl"?>

if the style sheet in the href is not present, I am not sure if you get an error or if the page is rendered as normal XML (no style).

So...check to see if the xsl file is anywhere to be found if there is at all an xsl reference.

hope all that made sense.

OK. I think i got it. Here is what it looks like.
fc022838.jpg

There is no XSL file. So if I just add the style sheet and referrence the xls file to the one on my computer, then it should work?

That's the theory. If a style sheet already exists on your system, then just add a line to reference it and it should render a more meaningful page for you.

Well, there is no style sheet in it. I tried putting the style sheet and reference it to the file on my comp, with no luck.

I'm not sure if I should look into this subject more detail. Just wondering if XML is popular meaning that the knowledge of it is useful. I've never came across xml until I used that benchi soft.

unless you're planning dynamic output from your benchmarking software, maybe a webpage module that shows your results and is updated periodically, then there is no real need for an XML output.

However, if you are interested in playing around with this, then you might want to look into writing a simple PHP frontend for XML and relevant stylesheet. It's pretty easy to do, a google search will bring up some tutorials for this sort of thing, or alternatively, take a look at some existing XML parsers.

Back