• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XMP profile has slowly become unstable over time. Is it the CPU or the RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the bios may have been corrupted. i flashed to the newest one and everything seems fine for the last day and a half at xmp and max oc. i won't call it good untill i've used it for awhile like this but i can boot every time so far without getting hung up in bios or having to do power downs and haven't had any crashes YET. hoping for the best. also happy to say that there were 4 bios updates available and most of them said "improves sytem stability" which sounds good to me.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.:( My Gigabyte PC runs fine with XMP 3200 speed, I was just playing around with settings for fun.

no worries man it seems to be fine as far as i can tell. i had no idea bios' could get corrupted by overclocking and maybe that's not what happened but ever since i updated to the latest one it's been ok. hoping it stays that way. it looks like your ram is pretty ultimate already though. not sure how it could get better for your setup.

i had no idea bios' could get corrupted by overclocking and maybe that's not what happened but ever since i updated to the latest one it's been ok. hoping it stays that way.
Oh yes, it happens all the time. Especially when you screw with the ram a lot.

Gotcha. In that case I'll pull the trigger on bios flashing and hard resets earlier on in the future. i always thought that the bios was immutable unless you used a specific utility. thanks to all for your patience. i don't know if this is over for sure since i thought i was done with this several times already and it turned out i wasn't. if luck is on my side i can stop bothering you about it after this post.

hmm. corrupting bios by overclocking... maybe my old i5 Sandy bridge and msi z67a gd65 board was that...

Well, it is serving well as my mother's solitair(spelling?) and Facebook pc...haha

coming up on 2 weeks and all is well. looks like the new bios likes my ram. 2 times now asus + gskill = fail. the first times the ram was on the recommended list on asus' site. this time the ram came in a bundle deal from newegg which kinda implies compatibility. bad luck i suppose but i think i'll avoid gskill with asus mobos next time and see if it goes any smoother.

I'm glad it working well for you do you have the ram overclocked? So what ram is working well for the Asus X99 And what two Gskill kits did not work well? Do you think it was the old Bios that caused the problem?

Yes I have the ram at it's original xmp 3000 setting. It's the same ripjaws V that I started out with that came with my newegg 5820k bundle http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=gskill_ripjaws_V-_-20-231-898-_-Product It seems ok now as far as I can tell with the newest bios. I can't remember which kit didn't work on my ivy bridge setup but I think it was blue ripjaws with a 3570k and an asus mobo p8z77v pro iirc.. it's been awhile but i tried 2 sets on the old rig and finally gave up on it and switched to mushkin blackline which worked from the start. could just be a fluke i'm not sure but ram problems seem to be my nemesis.

I'm glad the new Bios is working good with the original memory.:) Before in this thread it was mentioned that your Bios was corrupted, I did that recently with my Gigabyte Z170 HD3 when I was messing with the BCLK just for fun. To fix the base clock back to 100Mhz I had to re-flash the Bios, can you believe it.:-/

Honestly nothing would surprise me at this point. It seems like bios' are like video games now. they come out before they're finished and we find the problems.

When I was playing with the base clock the PC rebooted with beeps then all my presets were missing, so I think the Bios did a flash from backup bios however then the Base clock was ~89MHz, I could not fix it with changing BCLK settings, so I re-flashed the bios and it worked to fix the base clock to 100Mhz on Auto. I won't mess with base clock again.:eh?:

@ed yeah i know but my problems are recent so that's when i started seeing it. i'm not surprised though and i doubt it will change.

Back