• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1700+ Palo Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warp3d

Hello

im using an Athlon XP 1700 Palo
TT Volcano 9 hsf with as3
256mb Nanya Apacer DDR333
MSI KT4V KT400 mobo
80gb 7200rpm
Audigy DE and Chaintech GF4 Ti 4600 128mb
Chieftec ATX case with 2 exhaust and 1 intake
dual fan Hec 350W

any suggestions for overclocking or recommended speed?
thanks

my rig at 1700@ 1.6ghz is 49c on idle.
i live in a hot asian area.

pls help how can i put it to 1.7ghz
i tried to pull up the fsb higher but it crashes when i play games.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!

1.6 is pretty darn good for a pali!! is it maxed out yet?

the palimino's dont o/c that well, my 2100 wont go past 1.8

did you lap the volcano 9? that is one hs that needs a good lapping.

means making the base of the heatsink as flat as possible in order to get the best contact area for transfering heat from the cpu to the heatsink.

what is your fsb currently at?
if your using the defualt multi ie not unlocked the chip then its at 145mhz fsb.

as youve got a ddr333 capable board and memory your best "unlocking" the chip and selecting a lower multiplyer and utilising the 166fsb and 1/5 divider on your motherboard.

lapping is when you sand the bottem, the copper core part on the v9 or where ever the general area that the cpu will touch. you sand it with extremely fine sand paper to make it smooth, more contact with the cpu. I did it with mine and used 400 grit. i think i screwed it up some. the best thing for you to do is go to gen cooling, make a thread called "help please on lapping, im n00b" or something similar, and those guys will give you real good instructions and stuff.

i tried to make it 1.67 which is something like an XP2000+ but when i launch C&C Generals my pc crashes. im running now at default voltage and 145fsb at 49c idle and case temp is at 32c with closed panels.

i only overclocked my fsb to make it 1.6gigz tho

any suggestions?

ah ok i guess mines not lapped since i only cleaned the copper part with solvent! hmm im gonna think about that moddy.

cheesy ur right im running at 145fsb.

i also do understand that my rig is hotter than all of you guyz since Philippines is a lil hotter than european countries. my room at like 29c

ill be da***!!! the lower speed ones naturally o/c better % wise than the last model out. well, it must be an agoga stepping because my 2100 didnt do weell at all and was agoia

Warp3d said:
i also do understand that my rig is hotter than all of you guyz since Philippines is a lil hotter than european countries. my room at like 29c

To deal with the heat, just try a duct. ill tell you my setup.

first i made a thingy out of poster board, squareish to fit perfectly tight around my heatsink fan. it extends out to the edge/sidepanel. then, i have another 80mm fan in that end of this "pipe" then to get it to stay, i ductaped it to my psu, and other things to hold it. then, i ductaped a big box fan to the side of my case and removed both side panels.

1.6 is pretty average for even a pally modena, they did some with stock speeds of upto 1.73Ghz anways.
The highest i pushed my pally 1800 to was 1.91 on 1.9v, that was an agoia stepping.

Hahaha, nice duct too ;)

My recomendation would be to unlock the chip, and run at 166*10 for a speed of 1660Mhz.
Unlocking the cpu isnt easy, but its not too dificult if youve got a steady hand.

wow those do better than i thought!!1 :eek: as i said, on 1.85volts, my 2100 does only 1.8

maybe the chipped core wasnt from me taking it off!! (hsf) It might have been like that to begin with!!! that might explain the crappy o/c!!!!

1.8 isnt a crappy overclock, its approaching the limit of the technology used in the chip, 0.18micron(btw 0.18 does not mean limit is 1.8ghz lol) fabrication.
My pally was chipped too.

Back