• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2000+ and Epox 8Kha+ Queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daS_mAgg0t

Hi guyz, my first post, so first of all, hey :)

Ok, well, here it is. I just got my new setup. It consists of the following:-

2000+ XP Agoia
256mbx2 Crucial 2100 (from old system, getting 3200 soon)
Epox 8kha+ with latest bios
SLK-800 with Mectronics 54cfm 80mm (loads of 40c running at 2200+ speeds)

Ok, so ym problem is as follows. Im currently running at 149 FSB, and its stable in prime 95 etc, although memory intensive stuff, typically games, crash sometimes (not hard lock, just desktop crash). My first presumption was the memory as i can get past 150FSB and run prime 95 fine. Now the reason im not running at 150FSB (apart from crashes) is that i've noticed something quite bizarre, and need some help.

At 149FSB i get loads of 42c and sisoft benchies of roughly 2200/2100, about right im told.

At 150FSB my memory gears down to pc1600 and im only getting 1600/1500 in sisoft.

I'm not changing anything bar the FSB, and its only occuring at 150+.

My brother suggested it maybe, although unlikely, a voltage issue. So i'm now running at 1.85vcore and 2.8vdimm, yet the problem persists. Could this be the memory? And is there a resolution other than buying higher rated chips (run out of money atm hehe :().

I assume its the memory as people always getting way over 180 on this MB, so i doubt its the MB, the chip is running all teh cpu tests flawlessly at 150+ FSB (ignoring that i have mem issues), so im guessing the crashes in games + low bandwidth = memory, as obviously the cpu tests barely touch the memory so they pass.

Thx for any help u can give

dAs_mAgg0t :p

RnPgrosz

Sounds like the memory. I would go with the stock timings and increase the vdimm even more. Crucial PC2100 loves vdimm. This stuff can often hit 166 fsb, just relax the timings and increase the voltage.:)

OP
D

daS_mAgg0t

doh!

Well, ok, i've been reading up on ym board and ram, and have discovered many things.

First off, my bandwidth issue which is presented at 150FSB. Aparently once the 8kha+ hits 150FSB a 3:4 mem:cpu ratio kicks in, which by default sets my mem to 3 and cpu to 4, i.e. 100:133 non oc'ed. Simply selecting 133 instead of 'by spd' in the bios made it run at its correct speed, i.e. ddr300 at 150FSB. Thats one issue fixed :D

With this new info, i then realised that if my memory using the default setting when the 3:4 was activated, tehn its running at about 112mhz, 224DDR! Now the problems still persisted so that rules out the RAM suggestion completely (I also removed 1 and used only 1x256mb and problems still persisted).

I then went on to removed all pci devices from my system, leaving the agp the only thing in a slot. Problems, again, persisted, although i am now able to post at 160FSB :O I forsee future issues with NIC :mad:

So...im thinking now...ok....im running 149mhz near enough stable 100% (its 100% perfect in prime95, so instability at this FSB isnt the CPU im thinking, as it ran for 3 hours flawlessy in a previous test), and with it posting at 160+ FSB, im guessing the cpu has a little more juice at a possibly higher vcore.

I then noticed the fan on my Northbridge isnt spinning. Could this be the issue ? As crashes only seem to occur under heavy bandwidth situations, i'd even go as far as to say heavy HD access. I.e. botting windows (sometimes makes it, sometimes resets at welcome screen), playing a game, and NOT in prime95 as its not using many devices jsut CPU, as im told the northbridge controls AGP/IDE.

Could this be the problem ?

If so can u recommend a good horthbridge heatsink/fan combo to take me to new heights, price isnt an issue so the best u know of plz :D

Thx again for any feedback

daS_mAgg0t

aftermath

i have that board and currently strugle with 150 mhz or up
im at 149 at the moment i think its cos the pci bus is to high
i dont think the deviders are enabled to get a pci bus of 33.3 ish mys like at 37 or some thing

get that fan runing my'n never stops!!
ide is controled by the south bridge
pci agp memory etc is from the noth brige