• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp 2000+ + MSI kt7 turbo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reficul

Registered
This friday i'm going to a very big compu far in Holland.
A XP 2000+ is now approx. 98 euro's. On this far i can buy it i think for 90 euro's.
But my question is, how far can this proc. go on my board?
If you dont take heat into acount.
What is the max for this mobo. Because the XP 2000+ is the max. proc. that can be installed on this mobo.
And the second question is: How far can i go with a good stepping. My sdram memory can handle a fsb of 157 mhz. I have a 1/4 divider. And what stepping should i look for for good overclocking results?
I am hungry for some more overclocking.... :D

Last edited:
according to the CPU Database AGOGA and AGOIA - Y XP2000+ cpus are doing best at getting to good speeds. I'm sure your mileage will vary... My experience has been that a lot of stuff at Comp Fairs is suspect when it comes to quality. even Name brands which may turn out to be returned items the company is dumping etc. Great Price...yes, Possibly flaky... yes
... Caveat Emptor It's hard to return a part to a "Here today, Gone tomorrow" Computer Fair.

To answer your other question... My XP2000+ is an AGOIA chip(Locked) and will run stably at 1919Mhz @ 1.95v (In Bios) MBM5 reports 1.92v. it runS around 47-48c under load with an AX-7 and Y.S. Tech 80mm 49 cfm fan. It will post and boot into win98 at [email protected] and run normal apps, but crashes when I try to run a Graphics benchmark like 3DM2K01 se or Codecreatures. Won't post 1 mhz more @ 1968Mhz. More Vcore doesn't help.

Check out overclockers.com CPU Database to get a handle on what's good and whats working...

OP
R

Reficul

Registered
K, i know now what stepping i have to look for.
What cooler do you recommend for aircooling and overclocking?

The Coolest

I'd recommend the Thermal right line of coolers which are AX-7, SK-7, SLK-800 they are going in worst to best in performance, and the difference isn't TOO big between them, but there's a price difference.

The Coolest

euro is really close in its worth to the USD, right? in US I got my AX-7 almost half a year ago for $26, I don't think its MUCH lower now, you can get good prices here to compare. I don't think there's any decent heatsink available for anywhere close to $10-$13. You will also have to purchase a fan, the heatsinks come without a fan, which is good, it lets you pick a fan that will suit you the best.
Its a fact, you pay for what you get. One advantage I see in the AX-7 is its design is such, that when a high flow fan is used there is almost no dust collecting on the fins which on other heatsinks really impacts performance, and doesn't really need to be cleaned every so often.

OP
R

Reficul

Registered
Mmm, so it will be about 24 euro's. But than also a cooler has to be mounted on it.
Do you have a good suggestion for this?
For the AX-7, what size cooler must be on it?

The Coolest

The AX-7 is the "cooler" its the heatsink, you have to mount a fan on it. If noise is an issue I heard that SUNON 50CFM (80mm) are very good noise/performance ratio, I use a Delta 68CFM and its a bit loud, but I'm already used to it, and it also gives very good performance... the Delta 80CFM or Tornado 84CFM will give you the best performance a 80mm fan can give you at very large noise levels.

OP
R

Reficul

Registered
Mmm, i have at this moment a 120 mm Delta @ 7 volt.
Do you think this makes more noise then the coolers you suggested?

The Coolest

You can make a 120 to 80mm converter and it MIGHT work, but the setup you got right now is MUCH quieter than the ones I've suggested.

RPM_Computing

If you check my sig you will see the system I am running, the board is nearly identical. MSI's website say the board will only support Athlon xp 1800+ but I have my chip clocked a bit further than 2200+ and it registers fine on boot. If I clock it further it registers as Athlon XP but shows MHZ rather than a model.

I am currently using the Volcano9 fan and heatsing with my rig and it seems to do the job well keeping my temps around 40 degrees full load.

Good luck with your purchase!

OP
R

Reficul

Registered
Mmm, maybe it's an idea to bring along my 120 mm cooler to see if the coolers i buy have the same amount of sound.
I hope to buy then the 2000+ for 90 euro's and the ax7+80mm cooler for 30 euro's. But i still arent sure what for 80 mm cooler to buy.