• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2400+ to XP-M 2500+ worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pitsi

Registered
Well, I believe the title says it all. I currently have the following system:

Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1.92GHz (~2400+)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (rev 1.02)
Corsair XMS PC3200 (it can currently do 2-2-2-5 at 166MHz)
Radeon 9700 Pro

For cooling, I am using a Thermalright SLK-800 & Thermaltake SmartFan 2.

I know that my system is considered "low-end" nowadays but I still don't see the need for a major upgrade. My last upgrade was from a Slot-A Athlon @ 700MHz and a Geforce2 GTS to the above system. As you can see, I prefer upgrading only when I will see a noticable boost :p I've noticed though that the XP-M 2500+ is currently under $100, and I was wondering whether you would suggest such an upgrade? If I had to guess, I think I will do a major upgrade next Christmas. I am not sure if my mobo can do 200MHz FSB but I suppose this is not a huge problem with a mobile CPU.

So, here is the actual question. Will I see a noticable increase when moving from a 2GHz Tbred to a 2.2GHz Barton? (and I say 2.2GHz because I don't want to be disappointed if I can't reach any higher speeds, I know it all comes down to luck and at the same time my cooling is not that great)

Thanks.

jeffp83

I think it would be worth it. A mobile 2500+ will probably take you to 2.4GHz quite easily. You should get a decent speed increase from that, as well the Barton has double the L2 cache that your Thouroughbred has.

You're right, I don't think the older revision of the A7N8X will get to a 200MHz FSB, but it will probably get close. I could be wrong though.

If the price is right, I'd go for it :)

David

Forums Super Moderator
Unless the CPU is currently your limiting factor, I dont see it making a *huge* difference, although XP-Ms should reach 2.4 to 2.5GHz quite easily.

For a $100 upgrade I cant imagine it being a waste of money.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Version 1.xx of your mobo doesn't do 200 FSB, only version 2.xx does.

You are looking at going from 1.92 to 2.4 GHz unless you have a cheapo power supply.

2500+ mobile will probably do 2.5 GHz so yes, with your cooling and setup, ebay the 1800+ and add a little more for a nice jump. I would do that with your setup.

Your mobo may be able to go as far as 180s FSB + you are going to need some speaker wire for this mod:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=279392

You will loose 12.5 and lower multis but that's OK, you definitely will need 13 and up multipliers with a mobile Barton considering your mobo can't do high FSBs.

Going form 1.92 GHz to 2.4-2.5 GHz is *definitely* a jump you can "feel" -- very much so.

OP
P

pitsi

Registered
Wow I am impressed! Three replies within a couple of minutes .. that's fast :p

It seems that I will go for it after all, unless someone can actually convince me that it will not be worth it. My power supply by the way won't be a problem since I have an Antec TruePower 430w. As far as the mobo goes, Asus has actually a BIOS upgrade that is supposed to enable 200MHz FSB support on rev 1.xx boards as well. I know for sure though from users who tried this update, that the results are not guaranteed. Some can do 200, others can't. Basically, time will tell ...

About that wire mod, do you know whether it will be necessary for me to do it, or it depends on my mobo?

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Official Asus BIOS updates won't help as far as I know with going toward 200 FSB on version 1.xx.

Only Abit, DFI and Soltek post all multipliers.

All other nForce2 mobos need that wire mod for high range 13 and up multipliers if mobiles or unlocked CPUs (whose default multi is in the low range) is used....