• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp-90 Install Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deniro0311

Registered
I tried installing the damn xp-90, and I think I almost cracked the cpu. I followed a set of instructions from dfi-street, and I couldn't get the retension hooks to snap into place. Maybe I need to apply more presure, but I am afraid of the possible results. Then I tried another set of instructions where you snap the xp-90 into the black base and then screw it into the mobo, no good either. Am I just stupid, or is this a common problem. I would like to get on with the build, so if I have to, I will get another. I was thinking about the SI-120. If so, what is a good fan to go with it. This is assuming I can't get the xp-90 on. Any help would be much appreciated.

It does take a good amount of pressure to snap the xp90 into place. I was a bit concerned when I did it the first time. As long as you have your IHS still on your CPU (The metal cover that protects the core) then you should not have to worry about cracking your core. The SI120 and the XP120 both attach the same way as the xp90. Good luck with it.

Try latching the two rear hooks first. Then swing the heatsink forward to latch the other two and make contact with the heatspreader.

try doing what GML3G0 said by latching two sides first. You might have to also make sure that the heat pipes or even the clips dont bend or push aside any of the capacitors that much. I know that I had to cut off one of the clips because it was pushing one of them. But yea, try a little more force on it, I know it sort of felt like it was alot of pressure when I installed my xp90

Back