• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP and NTFS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Ok when I installed Xp in formatted it with NTFS. I tried to use a floppy to install the Ultra drivers that came with my Dragon+. When I did this I got an error. Can you use floppies when your hard drivers are formatted with NTFS? Cause this week I'll be getting a digital camera that can use floppies.

moonunit

It shouldn't matter a bit. The OS can understand (or so we hope) other file systems, like CDFS and FAT32.

It's far more likely to be dodgy disk or even drive.

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

Yea just my luck cause I really don't feel like another format just so I can use the other two IDE channels. I guess I'll find out when I get my camera huh.

rUfUnKy

Klownin79 said:
Ok when I installed Xp in formatted it with NTFS. I tried to use a floppy to install the Ultra drivers that came with my Dragon+. When I did this I got an error. Can you use floppies when your hard drivers are formatted with NTFS? Cause this week I'll be getting a digital camera that can use floppies.
You most definatly can use floppys with NTFS. Are your dragon flopys the only one's you have tried to use?

Tecumseh

This is NOT a problem. XP can read floppies just fine.

About the only thing you can't do with XP or W2K is
create a boot floppy. The reason is because you cannot
put NTFS on a floppy. When you format a floppy under
XP it is the same old FAT12 you are used to.

OP
Wicked Klown

Wicked Klown

No I wasn't trying to boot off of it. All I was doing was trying to enable the 3rd and 4th IDE channels. It says to make a floppy then start to install Xp, when the install starts hit F6 then S. I have tried four times now and no luck.