• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP and Radeon 9700 - issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So the resolution to the problem was not using XP but instead going back to 2000? I'm going to give XP a go with my 9700 this evening and I'll report if I have any problems with the latest Catalyst drivers and 3DMark 2001SE.

~THT

hi

on my card the driver disc that came with my new 9700 gigabyte yeild the best 3dmark2001 score i tried the cat 2.4 and it took just over 1000 pionts off and the latest drivers from gigabyte did the same !!!

well there you go cant work this out? :eh?:

Top hat theater - Windows2000 has made my system more stable than XP, yes. But, I still have issues and have yet to post a 3Dmark score, most probably due to the amount of stuff in my system. Dual CPU's, two hard drives and dvd and a CDRW all take their toll, and I think I spoke too soon. The audigy has as stated above, a number of issues with XP as far as I know, and I ended up having to take the card out and roll back to my SB Live to stop XP blue screening every time I booted. The install was basically tainted from thn on as I couldn't go through the registry and remove the hundreds of registry keys that related to the audigy manually. So the clean install has helped there, and probably with my radeon, but not cleared things up completely. Also, be carefull with what catalyst drivers you're using. Use the "powered by ATI" not the "built by ATI" drivers if your card isn't a genuine ATI card. This did seem to make a slight stability difference under the shaky XP install I ended up with.
Rotary motion - It take it you removed the old drivers before putting on the new drivers? Silly suggestion I know, but that seemed to make a difference for me. Maybe it's an issue with the control panel version switching on a feature by default on the new features, that wasn't there before?... Food for thought maybe. I'm now waiting for an enermax 550W PSU to try and eliminate the shutting down problem. It doesn't seem to be a temperature problem for me, as I can't even run through a 3Dmark bench straight after boot, and have stuck several fans blowing on the Northbridge, graphics card and PSU area to try and eliminate this. I'll post the results of changing the PSU when it arrives... Good luck to both of you with sorting out the XP install and 1000 point drop :)

frostmeister said:
Also, be carefull with what catalyst drivers you're using. Use the "powered by ATI" not the "built by ATI" drivers if your card isn't a genuine ATI card. This did seem to make a slight stability difference under the shaky XP install I ended up with.
Rotary motion - It take it you removed the old drivers before putting on the new drivers? Silly suggestion I know, but that seemed to make a difference for me. Maybe it's an issue with the control panel version switching on a feature by default on the new features, that wasn't there before?... Food for thought maybe. I'm now waiting for an enermax 550W PSU to try and eliminate the shutting down problem. It doesn't seem to be a temperature problem for me, as I can't even run through a 3Dmark bench straight after boot, and have stuck several fans blowing on the Northbridge, graphics card and PSU area to try and eliminate this. I'll post the results of changing the PSU when it arrives... Good luck to both of you with sorting out the XP install and 1000 point drop :)

hi i did use powered by ATI drivers and uninstall others first too!

read this i just wrote VERY INTERESTING THREAD ON THIS !!!

other thread...

Okay, after BSODing with XP, I went back to 2K...I'm not even going to give it a chance. I dropped the OS like a bad habit when it came out and I'm dropping it again like a....really bad habit...or something. ;)

~THT

Hello, have the same problem with my computer shutting down when running 3DMark SE on some of the test´s! The 4 first test! Also when i´m playing CS! Have Hercules Radeon 9700 PRO card with KT400 chipset! Have updatred my bios to 1010 and the latest power by ATI drivers and VIA Hyperion 4.45 drivers! The problem doesn´t appear if i don´t install AGP 3.0 rhen the card works perfectly! And have a separat power suply to my graphic bord, so that´s not the problem!

Mandragoran, I think as you say, your problm is related to using AGP3.0 - or AGP 8X. I heard there were problems with the VIA and SIS chipsets, when used with the radeon. My card is the hercules 9700pro as well. I've given up trying to fix it, and haven't played any games in ages :-( I'm going to get a power supply, and now upgrade to an Asus A7N8X, with an XP2700 / 2800 and dual ddr ram. I think that'll sort out any issues. Dual CPU's are fun, but more hassle than they're worth, unless you really have an application that needs them. I did by the way, 3Dsmax, and it did make a difference, but the negatives outwieghed the positives in the end.

Back