• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP asks me for a password when there is none for file shares...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoN068

When I share something on someone else's computer and I try to access it, it asks for a password when there is no computer password AND I put all the advanced share settings to full for everyone. Why does it ask me for a password? How can I get rid of it?

Or...

Create an identical user account on each machine. Then when prompted for a password enter the account name and password for that account. If you want to avoid the use of a password for accessing shares use a blank password for the account you created above. NOTE: This is not a secure way to share files!!

are there any domains involved? if so, use the username "DOMAIN\username".

are you using the administrator account on either box? XP doesn't let you log on remotely to the administrator account if there is no password.

You should not have to mess with the accounts or anything like that. When I click on a computer in the network and it asks for a passwork then I now the network is down or has a problem.
Usually I will run the network wizard. I also add the Netbios protocol which can help sharing files depending on your setup.
Make sure you enable file sharing on the drive and folder you are trying to access. XP is easy to network but NT based systems require some gettinng past security.
If it is an XP upgrade on a 98 or 95 partition the networking is often screwed up. Removing and reinstalling the protocols can sometimes help.

Back