• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP chip question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

srwven

Theoretically speaking, after unlocking an XP, would it only be the chip limiting how high you could go if the fsb remains the same? Reason I ask is because I had a crappy 1133 unlocked. At the default multiplier I could get the fsb up to 145 but after I raised the multiplier, my fsb limit went down even when I raised the cpu voltage(and ddr voltage). I was wondering if I was going to run into the same thing with my 1600+xp AGOIA0226.

Sounds like a power issue to me. If you can run something like 8x166 & 12.5x133 then you _should_ be able to run 10x166 :)

Not a power issue. I have a 550W ps and watching all the lines in mbm while running stressing programs, all the lines are well within tolerances.

Odd issue...not sure why something like that would happen. What motherboard is this happening on?

Shuttle ak31v3.1. 256mb micron pc2100 ram, 1 20gig maxtor 7200, 1 cdrw, watercooled with a dtek spiral, viaaqua 1300 pump, radiator and 1/2" lines. I haven't unlocked the xp yet so I am not saying it happened to it, just my old tbird that was not a good overclocking chip. I was just theoretically asking whether the chip should hit the same fsb's at most of the multipliers. I was under the assumption that the only thing that would stop it would be the voltage and the chip itself. On that tbird I couldn't get past like 1340mhz, if I increased the the multiplier, I had to decrease the fsb to get it stable and vice verse. I was just wondering if anyone else had experiences like this. On the other hand, I would imagine a chip has its limits regarding mhz regardless of the multiplier, else why wouldn't everyone just run their chip at the maximum multiplier they can get?

Theoretically speaking, CPU should/can run 133x10, 166x8 and 200x6.5 all under the same voltage. The rules are if you want to increase your FSB, sometime you need to lower your multipilers, since its all depends how high your CPU can go. So in your case, you raised your multipiler, now your FSB needs to be lower, or else your clock speed is gonna pass your CPU limit.

Increasing your voltage is related to your clock speed, not how high your FSB is.

p.s. Nice to see you here N8;)

Thanks, Kato. I been round for a bit.....mostly only checked the h2o forum b4......been pokin around lately :p

Kato said:
Theoretically speaking, CPU should/can run 133x10, 166x8 and 200x6.5 all under the same voltage. The rules are if you want to increase your FSB, sometime you need to lower your multipilers, since its all depends how high your CPU can go. So in your case, you raised your multipiler, now your FSB needs to be lower, or else your clock speed is gonna pass your CPU limit.

Increasing your voltage is related to your clock speed, not how high your FSB is.

p.s. Nice to see you here N8;)
Thats what I was thinking/asking. I am currently at 151 fsb with the unlocked xp. I was thinking that unless it is the ram/pci/agp limiting me now, unlocking it will still give approximately the same clock cycle as now. If it is indeed the ram then unlocking it will take me to the true potential of the chip. In essence I guess the answer to my theoretical question is yes.

Yes, by unlocking your chip, it won't increase your CPU limit.
If your CPU limit is around 1800mhz, then it doesn't matter if its locked or unlocked.

But at the same time, by unlocking the chip, you can have higher FSB, thus higher overall performence gain on your system. Although its still depends on your ram, and if your mobo have a 1/5 divider.

No 1/5th on the AK31A.....KT266A chipset....used to own 2 of em....gr8 boards for the price. Unlock that bugger...its worth it :D

Back