• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp cpu's with older sdram motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rand

Registered
Have an Asus A7V133 with 1.2 Athlon cpu, and 246 Mbs. of 150 Mhz. Kingmax sdram memory. Would like to upgrade to Amd Xp 1800 to 2000 cpu. Flashed bios to version 1007 that supposidly allows usage of up to XP2000 cpu. Has anyone used these somewhat older mbs. with the newer xp cpu's? Is the cpu upgrade worth it? Is the performance increase of DDR Sdram worth the additional cost of memory and MB?

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
I haven't run an XP on an SDram board, but there is a perceptable difference between a 1.2 t-bird with SDram and a 1.2 t-bird with DDR.

TranceBear

Big Daddy Bear Senior
Rand said:
Have an Asus A7V133 with 1.2 Athlon cpu, and 246 Mbs. of 150 Mhz. Kingmax sdram memory. Would like to upgrade to Amd Xp 1800 to 2000 cpu. Flashed bios to version 1007 that supposidly allows usage of up to XP2000 cpu. Has anyone used these somewhat older mbs. with the newer xp cpu's? Is the cpu upgrade worth it? Is the performance increase of DDR Sdram worth the additional cost of memory and MB?

The XP's were designed with DDR in mind, they use the increased memory bandwidth of DDR. I would wait until you got a DDR board and memory.

David

Forums Super Moderator
A motherboard which supports a 133MHz FSB should support an AthlonXP - I know someone who has a chaintech SDR mobo and runs an AthlonXP with 512MB SDR RAM.

Go DDR if you can - if you cant the an AthlonXP should be compatible.

Winterhawk

We've been running a 1600+ on our A7V Classic (not 133) for several months now and it runs just dandy, but limited of course to about 107 fsb- cpu is still locked so this yields about 1123mhz. A good stopgap measure till we settled on a new board and ram- nowhere near the cpu capability, but it was a good jump from the old 650 Duron. An A7N266-C will be here in a couple days, along with some hi-end DDR- but if I already owned a 1.2 Athlon, I'd personally sit tight until the Hammer is available, and hook it up with some of the 333 or higher ram that's just showing up... my 2 cents... :)

Stalka

Im running an AMD xp 1700+ on a ECS - K7S5A (which isnt that old of a mobo) it supports 1 gig of ddr and 1 gig of sd total of four ram slots i would recomend it becuase u can run yer new pross on it and yer old ram till ya get ddr ram im runing 768 of sdram and it runs get so i prefer sd cux im a cheap ******* but if i had a choice id get ddr

13oots2

Winterhawk said:
We've been running a 1600+ on our A7V Classic (not 133) for several months now and it runs just dandy, but limited of course to about 107 fsb- cpu is still locked so this yields about 1123mhz.

My friend is having accute problems getting a Morgan 1200 running stabily on his A7V. We tried the latest 1010 BIOS and it recognised the chip no problems, ru anything and the system keels over. Power supply and heat are not problems, do you use the 1010 BIOS or the 1008??