• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp hangs right b4 log on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Xp hangs right b4 log on/Solved

Hi,
I was adding some old programs from back up disks when my comp got super slow. i rebooted....and was :eek: that it would not boot into windows any more.
it hangs on the win xp splash screen right before the logon option appears.

This is what I have tried so far:

• press F8 to get to safe mode

last good configuration did not work. Safe mode did not work either, I found myself back at the WinXp splash screen.

The only 2 things that I can think of are...one of those older programs messed w/ my registry or its a SP3 issue?
So far Sp3 has not auto updated for me. unless it auto updated and i was not paying attention. Is sp3 a potential problem? I am just looking all potential problems.

Thanks for your help in Advance!

Last edited:

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
You are getting the "drive to boot" menu because you are pressing it too early, wait a little longer and press it. F8 (at least on my board) is the drive selection screen.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

I tried safe Mode again. it still hangs at the xp splash screen. Any ideas before i reinstall? Its a fairly recent install of xp and i did not back up yet..so recovery is not an option. im not going to lose much except for the tedious reinstall of all my soft ware and updates.