• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maiof

sup ya'll? how you guys been??

i got a few questions........

first of all.... is there a way to set the folders to show the files by date?? i see by year.... but that's different than by date.......

another one is how can i see my IP like with 98/me you'd go "winipcfg" under run......

and one last question.... how can i go to the "lock computer,log off, task manager" with ctrl/alt/del?? when i do ctrl alt del i get task manager only...

thanks all,
maiof

Jirnsum

I thought that if you show the folder as "list" and then click date created, or date modified, it lists the files in that order

try ipconfig

hmmmm......I don't know whether that last one is possible. I know there is a way to log on W2K style. You could do all the actions that are on the menu you mentioned from the XP taskmanager though

Rakk

Yep, those functions are all built into the task manager itself - have a look at the menu options along the top.

OP
M

maiof

oh..... and is there a way for each user to have his own settings like reselution and recycle bin settings or do we have to change them everytime we each log on??

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
I was under the impression that that was standard procedure. Can you not have different settings from other users right now?

To display your IP address, I think you have to go to network neighborhood and then on the left hand side, click on view my network connections. Select your NIC and double click. Somewhere there, you should see your IP address.

Are you trying to log out with a key command or lock the computer? If you just want to lock the computer, type win+L and then enter and it'll lock for you. If you want it to shut down, it's already in the task manager. If neither of those are good enough, you could make a script or something and put it on your desktop and just double click it. There are multiple tutorials available on how to do that on these forums and thousands more online.

Z

Overtime

Registered
if you want the screen that says "lock computer" "task manager" "log off" etc...when you hit alt ctrl del, then go to control panel, go to user acounts, then click on "change the way users log on or off" then untick the "use welcome screen", that will give you that screen when you hit alt ctrl del but it will get rid of the welcome screen and just give the standard win2000 logon screen....hope this helps....

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
I'm not sure if this answers your file question but how I set my windows explorer is:

1. Click "view" then click "details"
2. Click "tools" and "folder options" then "view" and click "apply to all folders"
3. Click "view" again and "choose details"

In that box highlight "date modified" or whatever you want and click the "move up" box. If you put it at the top it will sort your files date modified first.