• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP home repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcttexas

I got the following error when booting:

Windows cant load......this file missing or corrupt:
Windows\system32\config\system

What repair option should I use at the repair console?

Dark Disciple

Is it a blue screen that this error is displayed on and the system will not continue to load? Or did the rig boot to desktop?

Try repair installation first for either...

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
okay, what you need to do is put your windows xp cd into your cd-rom drive and make it so you can boot to the cd-rom in your bios. there should be a setting in your bios to make it do that. then go through all of the normal installation instructions. when it is looking at your hard drive, it will find that you currently have an os installed. it will give you the option to install the os to a new partition or reinstall (repair). i am not exactly sure what it says, but one thing you do not want to do is go into the windows recovery console. that is something completely different. try that. if that doesn't work, just pm me and i can help you.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Unfortunately, you've got a corrupted Registry Rcttexas. The following MSKB article describes in detail 'How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting'...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

The following is a quote taken from the above article...
When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
  • Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
  • Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
  • Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
The procedure described in this article uses Recovery Console, System Restore, and lists all the required steps in specific order to ensure that the process completes fully. After you complete this procedure, the system should return to a state very close to the system before the problem occurred. If you have ever run NTBackup and completed a system state backup, you do not have to follow the procedures in parts two and three; you can skip to part four.
The following MSKB article describes the installation and use of the Recovery Console...

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP (Q307654)

Although you can run the Recovery console by booting directly from the Windows XP CD, it's much more convenient to set it up as a startup option on your boot menu. ;)

OP
Rcttexas

Rcttexas

I saw that article too, but as i entered the commands, I got to the 3rd command and it said it was invalid. After sitting on hold with MS Support he went through a restore process with me and got it up. The guy did not take to kindly to the fact I told him the web support article did not work. Sounded mad he had to help me. Ofcorse my comment about switching to Linux did not help the matter:D

OP
Rcttexas

Rcttexas

Yea, he walked me through a restore and got it back up. It was a whole lot easier than typing in those commands from the support site.....

P.S. My Uncle is a Boilermaker!!!! Class of '77....I think!