• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp instant death!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boris

Just recieved an Xp 1900+ from a guy on ebay.
He said he had ordered it by mistake thinking it was an Mp.
Recieved it today and I must say it did look unused exept for 3 minute black dots just above the top left corner of the core,were hardly visible so I didnt think much of it.
Popped the chip in and turned the pc on and straight away I heard a crackling noise and no boot :(
Took it back out straight away and yes it had fried!
There was a nice thin layer of arctic 3 compound perfectly covering the core so the heatsink was seated correctly.
I once messed up on seating the heatsink and had the warning bleeps but I turned the pc off right away and the chip was ok,I'm now using the Abit A7V8X which has the cpu overheat protection so I cant see how it was caused by that.
Put my other Xp chip back in and no probs at all but the 1900+ was an Agioa 'y' so I'm a bit gutted
I know that they dont fry as soon as the power is turned on + there were no warning bleeps etc and it was the instant I switched it on that it died.
Anyone else had this sort of thing happen or am I right in thinking the chip was faulty?

Maximouse

rippedsocks said:
jeez i wish i had an abit a7v8x...

instead im stuck with an ASUS a7v8x.... lucky you huh?

LOL

Seriously, the guys new and probably a little upset. give him a break;)

Boris....Welcome to the forums

Sounds like there was something wrong with that cpu for it to go so fast. Anyway, can you return it?

OP
B

Boris

No probs rippedsocks ,some abuse makes these posts more fun to read.
In my defence I have just got in from a nightshift and am a bit tired :)

specific

i use ebay, and i don't want to buy from that guy.
can you reveal his user name? or would that be against forum policy?

OP
B

Boris

I've sent him an email to see what he says about it, if he did know it was broke I doubt I'll be getting a reply though.

LittlePiggie

Welcome!! Yeah Ebay blows. I just bought a t-bird 1000 "new". Arrived a week late and guess what? it only ran at 750 even though on the chip it said 1000, then I took the hs off and fiddled. I tried to put the hs back on, but the pos mounting clamp was busted so I pushed too hard and chipped the corner off. Anyway, sounds pretty DOA. Did the guy have a DOA warranty?

OP
B

Boris

It was just some guy like me selling the cpu not a business trader so I suppose I'm buggered.
Oh well I wont buy anything like that from there again.
Think I'll try to get a 1600 or 1700 AGOIA 'Y' from somewhere,I want to run some serious fsb with this new board and mem as this samsung 2700 runs at 400ddr with fastest timings.

Thx for all the welcomes ;)

OP
B

Boris

Ok I had an email from the guy,he said he got the cpu from a local shop and will try to get it exchanged.
I just hope they dont try and say it looks like it overheated due to heatsink not seated or something.
The core is perfect apart from most of the pink colour is now silver and theres a lump at the side of it where the glue is.

IR1

just put it back on ebay....

j/k

try and get ur money back.. if ya dont file a fraud complaint with ebay.

If you paid via paypal also do fraud with them. But try and email the guy first of course.