• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-Ms and default multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fyre

Registered
I have an A7V8X board which I found out yesterday has a horrible bios bug where it sets the multiplier to the default for the CPU when it resumes from S3 (suspend-to-ram). I use STR a lot because it is a useful feature.

I have ordered an XP-M 2500, obviously to overclock. I realised I would probably have to leave the multiplier at 14x which is okay because I can adjust the FSB between 166 and 180 and get speeds between 2.33 and 2.52ghz, which the chip would probably be fine with.

But, I have just read some reports that the XP-M gets wrongly set to a 6x multiplier if the desktop motherboard uses the default (14x) setting - due to powernow compatibility problems. And that changing the multiplier to anything else alleviates the problem, but I may then get a drop from 2.x ghz to 1ghz when i resume from S3 standby.

Is this the case then? Or does the 6x multiplier thing only affect the minority?

OP
F

fyre

Registered
Do you have a link? And is there a way to turn off jumperfree mode and actually set the multiplier physically?
Damn you Asus.

OP
F

fyre

Registered
Does this pin-mod thing works with any Socket A motherboard - so it is just a way to set the multiplier and/or vcore manually?

Edit: Sorry one more thing: can you just pinmod the multiplier and leave the FSB/Vcore pins alone so you can tweak them in the bios?

Last edited:

bradleyland

Registered
You don't have to do the wire mod with the ASUS A7N8X. In the BIOS, Advanced Chipset Features, there are a number of settings that change the way the motherboard treats the processor. They have options like Optimal and Aggressive. Change them all to aggressive and the options for the FSB will change drastically. With the aggressive setting, you can set your FSB in 1 MHz increments and the board will automatically unlock your multiplier. The following settings should be set:

System Performance: Aggressive
CPU Interface: Aggressive
Memory Timings: User Defined
CPU Vcore Setting: Menu

These settings will allow you the greatest amount of flexability when setting your FSB, multi, and core voltage.

I'm new at this too :) It took me forever to figure out that I had to change these to aggressive/user defined in order to get things right. Without these settings the processor would default to something like 1235 MHz. Right now, my A7N8X.Athlon 2800+ is running:

Multiplier 12.5
FSB 190 MHz
Core voltage 1.650v
Memory 7-2-2-2 (I think) (Corsair PC3200 XMS CL2 512 MB x 2)
Temp while running burnk7: 47 C

In experimenting, I was able to run the multiplier anywhere from 9 to 13. I didn't go higher, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, unless the processor just couldn't take it.

Hope this helps :)

Tebore

^^ Did you even read his post? It's a bios bug that when he resumes from standby his board will boot with the default multiplier which is 6x on mobiles. He needs a way of setting the default to 14.

fyre said:
Does this pin-mod thing works with any Socket A motherboard - so it is just a way to set the multiplier and/or vcore manually?

Edit: Sorry one more thing: can you just pinmod the multiplier and leave the FSB/Vcore pins alone so you can tweak them in the bios?

You sure can only mod the multiplier. And the mod works with any socket A board.

OP
F

fyre

Registered
This is good news! And if it doesnt work, well, I can live without S3 I suppose - I've got a Zalman CNPS 7000 on order along with an Antec TruePower PSU - both very quiet.

Thanks for the help :cool:

The Coolest

Ok, first of all, the default multiplier on the XP-M is x6, the motherboard doesn't set it wrongly.
And to be able to get to x14 multiplier just look at the "wire trick for Mobiles" sticky at the top of this section. its pretty easy to do and doesn't envolve any physical modification to your hardware, and is easily reversible.
Although if you have good RAM then upto x12.5 multiplier should be sufficient. You only need the wire trick if you want to go over x12.5 (x13 - x24)

OP
F

fyre

Registered
No but you see my motherboard would set the multiplier to x6 every time I wake from standby... which is a problem I'm sure youll agree. (Despite having set the multiplier manually). This isnt the same deal as the 13x thing, the A7V8X can access all multipliers.

What Tebore was suggesting was I link some holes together in order to manually over-ride the BIOS multiplier setting, thereby avoiding the bug. Whether it works is another matter, I will have to see.

MastarPete

I recently bought a A7N8X-E Deluxe and I wonder if the prob might also have something to do with the way the bios treats bad settings..
ie. if you set 300x 24 :D and the system fails.. you just power off. and when you turn it on again it trys to recover by reverting to the safest possible setting.

maybe instead of treating the suspend to ram the way it's supposed to, it thinks the system has locked due to bad settings. and thinks it's doing you a favor by reverting to default. :confused: :-/

-AsusMan-

I have emailed Asus about the problem with i suspect the A7V8X bios, as I have tried most versions uptil the latest 1014. I have posted here as well as in VIAArena (official VIA forum). It is not only a Barton problem but affects I suspect all CPU's where the default multiplier is changed as others report this S3 STR problem. I got no where by emailing Asus. Perhaps if others email as well they may do something about it. Oddly after S3 Suspend when the multiplier is set to the default, if you hibernate and reboot it gets set correctly. I tried CPUMSR to reset the multiplier from within Windows but it did not work.

----------
A7V8X Gbl Gold Rev 1.04
Barton 2500+

OP
F

fyre

Registered
AsusMan, I was posting in that Via Arena thread as pbaran. So we meet again lol.

-AsusMan-

What are your temperatures like?
Also what voltage are you running your CPU at?
Mine at nearly idle (via MBM) are M/B 27C, Socket 50C, Diode 40C
Running Prime95 are 28C 56C 46C
CPU Barton 2500+ running at 13x = 2166Mhz
Voltage set at 1.70V in Bios (via MBM) 1.74V

----------
A7V8X Gbl Gold Rev 1.04
Barton 2500+

OP
F

fyre

Registered
At idle, case is about 30C, diode 50C and socket 57C. I need to get some Arctic Silver 5 as my standard paste isnt doing much good. I've been fiddling around with Vcore and multiplier recently to see what is stable, but I will probably leave it around 1.7v and 2.45Ghz for the time being. Full load p95 gets case up to 33C, diode 58C, socket 70C, which is probably too hot for comfort (it heats up my room anyway).

Which is the correct reading for Vcore - that in MBM5 or what is set in the bios?

EDIT: Tried CPU MSR to change multi in windows and it worked! Perhaps if a script could be written to set the multiplier on resume using this software. Only goes up to 14x though. Why didnt it work for you?

Oh, could it be because I have a mobile chip which allows on-the-fly multi change?

Last edited:
OP
F

fyre

Registered
GOOD NEWS!

The wires in the socket worked like a charm. The motherboard acts like the CPU is locked at 13.5x (which I chose) yet FSB, Vcore etc are all there for me to fiddle with in the BIOS. All problems resuming from S3, restarting etc are gone!

I wrapped wires around the pins, which means the processor doesnt quite fit all the way into its socket ie bad for heatsink. Is there a better way (I don't want to do anything permanent if possible)?

-AsusMan-

I prefer Arctic Ceramique as it is non conducting.

You could wire from the back of the socket but that would require soldering or you could mod the bridges on the CPU inself. I think the way you have it now is ok as it is non perminent as well as being the least fidly option. I doubt that it makes any difference to the cooling, but be careful that it does not damage the core if one side of the CPU is higher than the other.

Glad the S3 suspend problems are gone. In your case CPUMSR would do the same job as it is a mobile CPU, though it did not work with mine as mine is a desktop CPU.

Your idle temps are a little high but as you are running at 2.45Ghz I think they are probably fine. I have 3 80mm case fans and idle M/B temp (in MBM) is 28C with prime95 about 30C, and i think ambient room temp is about 24C. When you upgrade your graphics card i think you will need to get temps down a bit as it will generate more heat.

Your Vcore at 1.7v is very good, but the Asus M/B's tend to overvolt slightly so check what it is in MBM.
I am awaiting a Thermalright SLK947U to replace my Arkua 7228 and 60mm delta tornado which with asus qfan on starts at nearly 9000RPM and then drops to 5600RPM (too noisy still).

Mr_Obvious

Bradleyland and Mastarpete. Look closely at the first post. A7V8XX. Not A7N8XX The V stands for VIA Chipset. The N stands for nForce chipset. two completely different animals with thier own unique set of problems when it comes to OCing. What works for one wont for the other.

Mr_Obvious

fyre said:
Do you have a link? And is there a way to turn off jumperfree mode and actually set the multiplier physically?
Damn you Asus.
From what I've seen and read, your A7V8xx is the same as my A7V600, as a matter of fact I think it was just a name change. Anyway, if you go to advanced in the bios, and on the very top where it says speed. scroll down thru the choices of whatever it shows your cpu at 100.133.166,200. at the very bottom it says manual. set it there, and it will allow you to manually select all the multi's and all the clock speeds from 100 to over 200. Just be careful, that being a via board, it doesn't have a PCI lock, end you don't want to jack your pci bus up more than 35 or 36. Hope this helps

mrneed

u can set ur fsb to 200/33 and ur fine anything above 220 and then u go out of spec.but if u have a multi unlocked u can have lots of fun