• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp network PROMBLEMS!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtrmquestionx

Im use to windows 98 networking I just got a laptop with windows xp. I was going to get it where i could work on this laptop at work. When i set up the network on my computer I used the automatic setup. I seem to be able to see everyone fine exept It seems that I can not get on the server. On windows 98 you have to logon to it before windows starts up but on windows xp i don't know how to do this. I am all confused. SOmeone help !!! :confused:

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Your work network is on something called a "domain" which is basically a big word for "common security measures" in order to get stuff from the server, you need to talk to your network administrator, and have him configure it so that it logs onto the domain.

flyingember

Registered
are you using xp home??

if so, you'll have to upgrade to pro before you can do that. home is not meant to be network friendly.

the way to get a login screen is to goto control panel, user accounts, pick your account, and setup a password. without that you'll never see that.

su root: I love your sig. this forum has got the be the most annoying on people doing that (I'm an ars person, just trying to contribute enough to get to the FS sections).
windows? please pick your version from the 9 I've listed and we can go from there.

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

I have xp home, and there is no network administrator its a small company. I'm the computer person lol. I can ussually fix most of the problems but I don't have much experience with a network. So there is no way i can get on the server? :confused:

flyingember

Registered
good luck. home really is that crippled. I couldn't see an xp pro machines shares with my home laptop. I had to upgrade even to do that simple networking task.

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Well im having the same problem with a windows 2000 prof. Perhaps im just setting something up wrong?

eh?

is the server os xp? or is it an actual domain os er. Win2k adv, or win nt? also winxp doesn't have problems with networking at all...

CrashOveride

you may want to go into the network proporites... for both computers and make sure that they are each using only the same things... windows XP seems to have a bucnh more nad changing htis an advanced proportise or somting - jsut unclicking the boxes- fixed it at my friend's... i forget hwo to get allthe way to the boxes and all but it is network proporties or sotmign... try that only cheeck like... TCP/IP, and the other ones that all the comps have and unceheck allthe other... :rolleyes: :confused: windowz:rolleyes:

EDIT: that wasreally eh question huh? um... ya ignore that... il leave it up cuz t could be helpfull but i wasnt paying attention... so please dont laugh tooo hard...

EDIT EDIT: well after reading some posts.. the changes i made that i mentioned inteh toppart where to make HOME work with Proffesional... maybe that would help other people who are having those types of problems

Last edited:
OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

I'm trying to access the servers. With out the server I can't print or work from my computer at work. I can see the server on my computer but im unable to get on. I click on it to look at the files and i put in the password and it acts like the info is wrong. So im not sure if im doing stuff right.

CrashOveride

hmmm you MAY want to see what i said erlier... i was havin a problem with accessing computers at my friends... it would show up but not get files... then i changed thes tuff and now it owrks when i am over there...
:D :eh?: :D my thoughts

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Drdingo I did what you said. And there wasn't any where to put in the domain name. I even tried to put it in with the username and stuff and it still acted as if i had everything wrong. I don't understand this is starting to get really frustrating

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

ok i finally got on the server. Took me forever I don't understand why but I can not log on to the server with the normal password and username that every one else uses so I had to create one with admin privleges, and then logon under that. *HAPPY*