• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro/Home question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hipster

I'm runnin home but am building new box and will need OS. Should I get pro or is there a work-around for my current home? Suggestions anyone?

Pro has all the Admin Tools and other Networking Features that Home does not, if you need these features then buy professional if not then save your self a bit of money and go with home, but if the price difference is small enough just go with Pro incase you need the tools at some stage.

Theres no work around i'm afraid, if you need Pro your going to have to get the wallet out!

-Chris

I just didn't know if I could use my xp home cd on the new rig if I used the drive I just took off this machine? I had been told somewhere that xp writes a small file on the drive that doesn't even get removed if you reformat it? I'll end up going over my budget if I have to spend the additional bucks on XPpro oem. If that's the way it's got to be then so be it and I'll have to byte the bullet. Additionally, if I have to byte the bullet, Do I need pro" Home seems to work for me but it seems most "enthusiasts" have pro and I'm wondering if or why they do? Thanks

XP does not write a file that is not erased. What it does do though is require you to activate windows with microsoft. With the windows activation they can tell if you are reusing the same CD key on another machine. If you are completly getting rid of the old machine though, there is nothing to fear. You may need to call microsoft when you activate your windows xp, but its a simple phone call and as long as you are not using the same copy on 2 machines you can honestly answer that question when they ask ;)

As for differences between home and pro well pro has alot of features that are typically more useful in a business type of environment (web server, message queuing, remote desktop administration etc). If you have not had any issue with home there probably is not any need for pro. If you like to do development work though, xp pro is probably a worthwhile investment.

Thanks Deathknight youv'e been very helpful on this board. I do plan on running both machines on XP and don't really see the need for pro I guess. I was just use to 98 which could be installed on multiple pc's until MS brought the hammer down on that whole scene. Actually from their perspective, they've really come up with a solid anti-theft scheme which will probably get them millions in lost revenues/profits. I wish I could just buy a license from them for my home for maybe $25.00 or something.

No problem ;) I agree, it would make life easier for people that have multiple machines at home if they had a better licensing programs for home users. Multiple computers at home is becoming a much more common thing now as people are replacing their first PCs.

Well, I've been so indecisive the last couple of weeks trying to at least get the best products/value for building this, I just ordered up my Ai7 board with a copy of XPpro! I really don't want to be disappointed down the road for $50.00. Wait till my wife sees the bill I have run up the last couple days!Whoa! but what the hay, she skis and I don"t so now I'll have something to do while she is away.hehe! She was online downstairs on the old P2-350 yesterday complaining how freakin' slow it was! So this new build will definately improve that situation anyways! Next I'll have to go 802.11G so the kids can get online in their rooms!LOL

Back