• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Prob.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

Ok well i reinstalled xp pro on my pc (cuz it didnt work right after i intalled my new cpu, did but it had some problims closing and opening apps.).

so i wanted to start fresh so i deleted all the partions that i had on my 80gb hd exept.........

there was my C drive that i had all my programs in and games (windows and other vitals were in E drive). so i installed xp any way on a new E drive thats 11gb so i have windows on E and old junk on C.
when the installation was done i whent into C and deleted it all then i tryed to format it but NO didnt work.
i checked the properties and it shows 2.47GB of used space but there is nothing in it when i open it! i even have it showing me all hidden files.

so thats my problim i want my hd back :cry: ! how do i format this and start new!! :mad:

Tatuya

Why not delete the partition in the windows setup and then reformat it with the windows setup that you get with the boot CD? If that doesnt work, I'd delete every partition and repartition, reformat, and reinstall.

OP
syberspy9

syberspy9

ya i tryed that but it sais it cant!
i have tryed formating it in windows and in the setup (and in the setup i tryed to delete it but like i said it tells me i cant!

Tatuya

Wow, that's pretty weird Syber. I've never had this problem nor read about and this is where my expertise ends. Perhaps someone else can help you or a google search will help? Will Partition Magic work? At thispoint I am guessing and naming random things relevant to the subject.

Disputant

I am assuming this is your Seagate drive listed in your sig.

1. Unclock your overclock to the system defauts.
2. Go to Seagate's support page for formatting.
3. Then overclock away once you get your OS back down.

http://www.seagate.com/support/software/

Hope their support page helps, Good luck.

EDIT: When I do this, I back everything down to an old drive I have for a slave. My two cents.

MitchV

Are you booting from your Windows XP disc? If you don't boot from the disc and begin the OS install from Windows, it won't let you delete a system disc ( partition on which it detects an XP install). Boot from the CD and you should get that prompt to reformat everything.