• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Reboots every time I log in

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvilerNine

Registered
As the subject states my desktop likes to reboot its self when I want to log in. At fisrt I thought it was a bad driver that I installed so I uninstalled that driver and replaced it with the previous driver (AIW 9600 Pro CAT 3.9 to 3.10 to 3.9). Still did the same thing. So I updated my mobo BIOS (P4P800 Deluxe from 1010 to 1012). Still the same. Reinstalled Windows XP Pro. Finally got past the Welcome screen. When I got in I started updating the OS. Now it reboots either during the download or during the installation. I then took out everything except one hard drive, memory, floppy, and one optical drive. Reinstalled Windows again, got past SP1, and all of the hardware drivers. I then installed NAV 2003 with current defs. Now it is rebooting when I login again. Has anyone seen this before?

Specs:
AIW 9600 Pro
Mushkin DDR3500 Black Level II 512MB Dual Pack
WD 36.7GB Raptor
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
P4 2.4c (HT Enabled)
Pioneer D106 DVD+/-RW
Antec TruePower 430w
Antec 10 bay case (w/ plenty of fans)

Evilernine

Since you've re-installed windows and it still does it, that pretty much means it's a hardware problem.

I had a computer that was doing a similar thing. I can't count how many times I reloaded XP, changed hardware configurations, or did stupid stuff out of frutration.

I thought for sure it was the power supply, but it wound up being the memory. Check those two first.

Set Windows to not automaticaly reboot on errors and see what the stop error is, then go to the Microsoft Knowledgebase and see what it says.

Thanks for the help. I will look at that and try memtest86 tonight after work.

EvilerNine

Memory would also be my guess, try differant slots or another stick if you can, sometimes I have had to install windows with one stick, then reinstall the stick after installation, stick passed memtest also kinds weird but it worked fine just wouldn't install is all.

-Milkman

Well I started Memtest86 v3.0 and I have 4 pass and 164 errors so far (27 min) :(. Time to ship the memory back I guess. I will still test the memory for a bit longer per stick and see what that does.

EvilerNine

Last edited:
Back