• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP reformating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxpehling

This is kind of just an opinion based thing. I realized that I don't use virus scanners or anything anymore. My first PC I had for 3 years before I ever knew what reformating even was. Now I reformat every month or so and I never install popup blockers or virus scanners anymore. After about a month or so I notice I may have a bug, I make a quick last ditch effort to rid of it, and then I say what the heck why not reformat :) It's about that time of month for me again. most things that I need to backup I do externally, for example all my music goes to the ipod, and documents that matter fit snuggly on a 512 mb thumb drive. I'd just be curious to see how some of you feal

darksparkz

I've seen HDDs like that, one of my friends had a problem with that. It was all laggy with popups and whatnot, and forced him to reformat every month or so, quite annoying. Then I ordered a Raptor for him and feels great.

So I'd say, get a new HDD.

jajmon

darksparkz said:
I've seen HDDs like that, one of my friends had a problem with that. It was all laggy with popups and whatnot, and forced him to reformat every month or so, quite annoying. Then I ordered a Raptor for him and feels great.

So I'd say, get a new HDD.

huh? - The problem isn't with the HD, getting a faster HD will only mask a problem that will return after reformatting.

Practice safer computing. Keep the OS patched. Run a AV program and keep the defs up to date. Install and USE Spybot SD, and Adaware weekly. Use a more secure browser and email client. Don't click on everything. Keep your IM programs up to date. Run a SW firewall. Stay away from P2P clients. Put yourself behind a router or hardware firewall (smoothwall, IPcop, monowall, etc.) I have 3 pc's, 2-xp pro and 1-2k, going on 3 years on the same original installs. No lag, popups, or any other crap.

OP
M

maxxpehling

well, I could also go 3 years without formating, I did as a matter of fact. it's just that I', constantly installing/uninstalling games and big apps and such. There are so many temporary things that I use and lose track of. I only have a 40 gig hard drive, and I just find it easiest to reformat once a month or so. I don't do it because I really need to do it most of the time, I just get bored and figure I'll do it, and it always helps my performance in the long run. I don't like doing all those disk cleanups and such, I just reformat.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Wow thats suprising you do it so often! It takes me almost a month after reformatting to get things back the way they were. So I never do it.

I use Zone alarm,Norton and two other ad apps to keep things straight.

OP
M

maxxpehling

dfonda said:
Wow thats suprising you do it so often! It takes me almost a month after reformatting to get things back the way they were. So I never do it.

I use Zone alarm,Norton and two other ad apps to keep things straight.

HAHA!!! thats so funny, because it's the same for me. After I finnaly get everything I get it's like "ok, time to reformat!"