• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Task Bar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcttexas

When I start Win XP home, nothing is there. When I put the curser on it, I get an hourglass. When I minimize a program it is not on the task bar. I do have IE6 & Outlook icons on the quick start, but cannot access it. I cannot even access the start menu. Any ideas.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Have you checked to see whether or not the taskbar behaves normally while in Safe Mode? If not, restart the computer | When the Power On Self Test (POST) completes, press F8 | On the "Windows Advanced Options Menu", use the ARROW keys to select "Safe Mode", and then press ENTER | When you're prompted to select which OS to start, select "Microsoft Windows XP Home", and then press ENTER | On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click "Administrator" | Type the administrator password (if your Administrator password is set to a blank password, don't enter a password before you click the arrow button).

If the taskbar seems to be working properly in Safe mode, then you may need to create a new user account. Let us know one way or the other, and we should be able to help you with that. ;)

OP
Rcttexas

Rcttexas

I tried safe mode and had the same problem. I restored back to 2 weeks ago and everything seems to be ok. I just can't think of any new installations between then and now that might have caused this.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You could've somehow ended up with a corrupted user account Rcttexas, that's about all I can think of offhand. :(

OP
Rcttexas

Rcttexas

Who knows, ya know those mac commercials on tv are looking better and better...........N O T............:D

PS how is RENO, I use to live in Truckee........to much snow

VaTechHokies

On this sort of topic, I've got a question for you all. My brother has winxp home and left his computer on during a thunderstorm when the power went out. When he tried to boot back up it says that it XP can't load the file (I can't remember the exact file name) w/ the user accounts because it has been corrupted. It's not that big a deal, cause we could always reload it, but is there any way to restore it back to a previous config? He doesn't know much about computers, so assume he has made no back ups of any kind. Thanks for the help

OP
Rcttexas

Rcttexas

I just restored back to the settings of OCT 12th. Now everything is ok. Tell him he needs a UPS unit. I live in Texas, I have 4.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Truckee...hmmm, we were like neighbors. I can see why you moved though, the weather conditions up there are just horrible most of the year...especially the winter months as you probably know all to well. Reno's growing by leaps and bounds...too many people for all the two lane roads, although they're slowly working on that problem by widening most of the major roadways. Well, snow should start falling here before long...it's been in the low 30's here lately in the early morn' and reaches the 60's by afternoon (if we're lucky). :beer: