• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP to XP network probelms

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
im basicly trying to pass the internet threw to another computer in my house

along with share some files

xp is fighting me every step of the way

basicly my first quesion is can i just set

computer one to ip 192.168.0.1 and then have computer 2 as 192.168.0.2 and the gateway as 192.168.0.1

( every time i seem to do this it doesnt work and i lose my work group even tought there both mshome)

OP
Crash893

Crash893

well i got most of it straignted out when i take ZA off

what would be the best way to configure ZA to work with shared internet connection.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I am in the same boat as you, I can only use the internet gateway auto find settings or see my other computer set the connectios by ip (also xp to xp but on wi-fi)
*My "Q" is what is the "ZA"

john240sx

i don't know much about networking but i had a real b**** with zone alarm, i switched to Segate Personal Firewall and most of the problems went away.

(XP networking sucks. win98 was very simple, why can't it be that easy again?)

lazerin

I think you guys will benefit from Proxy by AnalogX. I use it on my network.

From AnalogX:
Do you have several machines on a network, but only one connection to the internet? Wish you could browse the net from the other machines, just like you can from the machine that's connected? Then what you're looking for is called a Proxy Server, and AnalogX has just what you want. AnalogX Proxy is a small and simple server that allows any other machine on your local network to route it's requests through a central machine. So what does that mean in English? Simple, run Proxy on the machine with the internet connection; configure the other machines to use a proxy (it's very easy, there's a detailed description in the readme), and voila! You're surfing the web from any other machine on your network! Supports HTTP (web), HTTPS (secure web), POP3 (recieve mail), SMTP (send mail), NNTP (newsgroups), FTP (file transfer), and Socks4/4a and partial Socks5 (no UDP) protocols! It works great with Internet Explorer, Netscape, AOL, AOL Instant Messenger, Microsoft Messenger, and many more!

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I run ZoneAlarm and have had few problems with it; you can add an IP range as TRUSTED so that all packets will proceed as though there were no firewall, and it sounds like that is the problem.

In the version I am running, go to the control panel for ZA, click on "firewall" and then "advanced."
There will be a button on the lower right that says "Add;" when you click that a popup will give you 4 choices, select IP Range and type in the first address and last address you want to include.

Hit the ok button and that will list your local network as trusted.
Programs still have to be set up as normal, but your local network is now in the Trusted zone and security can be applied differently.

OP
Crash893

Crash893

should i just truest all 192.168.X.X

it seems every time i have computer 2 get its own ip it works but it picks crazy numbers like 250.5

and when i just make it 0.2 it doesnt work

DDR-PIII

Disabled
actually goto my computer right click on it and goto the computer name tab and click network ID then lcick next and choose home network and lcik next and try that :) it works for me :)

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
crash893 said:
should i just truest all 192.168.X.X

I set mine to trust anything between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.40. That gives me plenty of addresses to play with, but does limit things

crash893 said:
it seems every time i have computer 2 get its own ip it works but it picks crazy numbers like 250.5
and when i just make it 0.2 it doesnt work

That is the range MS uses by default: on an internal network, not connected to any non-MS stuff- that works fine, but anytime you toss in equipment that uses more standard settings (like the approved private IP range 192.168.x.x!) you get errors.

The ZoneAlarm setting is the IP Address RANGE: any and all ip addresses including and between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.40 with subnet 255.255.255.0 have Trusted Status in ZoneAlarm on my home LAN.

And to reiterate ( in response to DDR-PIII :D): MS wizards wreck my network every time they run. I avoid software wizards whenever I can with Microsoft stuff: they seem to set things up so that it is very difficult make make any other OS function with the Network...and I also run Linux here.
Wizards also make it harder to troubleshoot connectivity problems.

And my settings are easy to set up and faster:D