• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP1700+ TBred on a KT3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vertig0

Hey, there...

I'm currently running an XP1900+ (Palomino) on an MSI KT3 Ultra (1) and I was wondering whether it would be wise, or even possible, to upgrade my processor to a TBred? The chip I've got is terrible for overclocking (170 x 10 @ 1.8v - I can push it higher, but the measly gains aren't worth the extra heat) so I'm considering investing in one of those 1700+ TBred B chips... Or would it be advisable to upgrade my mobo as well (think bang for buck)? I haven't been keeping up much with the hardware scene so I don't know the ins and outs of the TBreds (ie. whether I can run my KT3 @ the fsb necessary). However, I figure if I start going that route then it start to look like a complete system overhaul, which I can't afford atm... Any advice would be much appreciated!

Btw... I posted a similar message in the MSI specific forum, but it doesn't look like it gets very much traffic at all... This post has added detail, so plz don't hate me for cross-posting! ^_^

One last thing... Does anyone know of any Canadian stores still stocking the 1700+ "B"? I think Bigfoot just ran out of their latest shipment and I don't know if they're getting more...

Last edited:

Bullion

Registered
if that board is based upon the kt333 chipset(the name implies as much, but check to make sure), it should have provisions for the 166fsb (as in a 1/5 divider).

But the 166fsb is not a prerequisite for all tbreds, some are based upon the 133fsb (but of course you can overclock :)

Id advise checking the manual that came with the mb.

Im running my 2100tbred B @2275mhz on a kt333 board (175*13)
soltek sl75drv5

goodluck

maxima88

The good news is that a XP1700 tbred b will work with your mobo and you should get a much better o/c out of it compared to that pally chip.

The bad news is that you shouldn't expect to hit really high FSB speeds like over 190fsb. The kt333 mobo is not fully compatible w/ the new thoroughbred architecture and there are really very few ppl if any at all that have been able to run their tbred/kt333 combo at fsb speeds over 190. Some can't even run over 170fsb.
My limit is 187fsb, anything higher and my WinXP O/S gets corrupted. I used to be able to run at 208fsb with my old XP1600+ pally, so I know it's not my pc. A lot of kt333 users have reported the sample problem that I have after they switched from a pally to tbred.

OP
V

Vertig0

I know I can go over 180fsb with mid-range memory timings, so I think I'm in good shape as long as I can hit some decent multipliers.. Speaking of which, what are the multiplier restrictions on the 1700+? If I'm not mistaken, they go as high as 12.5 without modding. How hard are they to unlock? I've still got my Palomino unlocking kit kicking around..

Also.. The voltages on these chips seem to be quite different than those of Palominos. Will my motherboard automatically compensate for the difference in default voltage? Standard voltage is 1.75 on my chip, afaik. What is it for TBred Bs?

sanford1

Vertig0 said:
I know I can go over 180fsb with mid-range memory timings, so I think I'm in good shape as long as I can hit some decent multipliers.. Speaking of which, what are the multiplier restrictions on the 1700+? If I'm not mistaken, they go as high as 12.5 without modding. How hard are they to unlock? I've still got my Palomino unlocking kit kicking around..

Also.. The voltages on these chips seem to be quite different than those of Palominos. Will my motherboard automatically compensate for the difference in default voltage? Standard voltage is 1.75 on my chip, afaik. What is it for TBred Bs?

AFAIK most TbredB's are 1.6V default, the exception is the 1700
DLT3C which is 1.5V default and one hell of an OC'er.

I'm still wondering why AMD hasn't applied whatever they did to make this core to the whole Barton line?

For getting the multiplier up, you have to blow a couple of the L3 bridges with a fresh 9V battery or get a good Nforce 2 board.