• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[email protected] vs Toast vs Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

I've been running prime95 torture test, and toast to test my overclock stability. Toast is crashing, at the same or lower temperature that it is running the Prime95 torture test at for hours. Toast seems to be running good at a stable temperature, I've sat and watched it for an hour, then gone away, and come back as often as possible, while it's still running the temp won't have budged, then I'll go back to it and find it has rebooted. Happens after about 3 hours. It will run the p95 test overnight, no problems though.

Have I got something to worry about or has Toast got issues?
I think Toast was crashing at lower speeds also. (been a while since I've been there :D )

3Dmark can also loop for hours if I'm conservative with the GPU speed.

thanks,

Road Warrior

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ive used both.toast sux! it causes silly errors to occur. but did push my cpu hotter than the old prime 95.

there is a new version of prime95 i need to redown load it myself.it works cpu hotter than ever +3c differance over old version.

toast is just unstable from the get go. thats why i dont use it.prime can be touchy, but if it does get errors its the pc not the program.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm link to updated version.

OP
RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior

Thanks, I was wondering if anyone else found toast flakey.

I'm kind of under the impression that Prime95 isn't an amazing test either, since I can run it, then run a 3DMark with conservative graphics settings and that will crash.

I always used to rely on doom to stability test. Wonder if Doom3 will be as useful.

Road Warrior

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I find toast to be just fine. What PSU are you using and what are your voltages like? Rebooting can be caused by a weak PSU, toast will work the machine harder than P95 will.

OP
RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior

Well I changed out my crappy sunny technologies 300W for an Antec Truepower 430 a little while back. It was definitely a voltage issue before, I was running at 1667 and toast would bomb the system with the 5v rail going through the floor. I did measure on the Antec at 1700Mhz running toast a little while ago and I was getting 4.87 steady, no dips when I started toast like before, that's on the hardware monitor and I was getting a solid 4.95 on a multimeter across the 5v rail on a drive connector. So I thought I had that problem licked. I checked on the hardware monitor at 1749 and it's steady at 4.87 still.

Road Warrior