• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP2000/2100 Here! January :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

oh baby, yes... orginally it was suppose to be a thunderbird.. but i guess they desided to go with the xp for the thorobred..
kinda sucks, seeing it will be harder to unlock.. but i do want my 2ghz mmmmmmmmmm :)

Last edited:

Dissolved

nick_cw said:
The question is when will the 2200+ thoroughbred be out? And does it have a .13Micron process? If it does then oc like crazy!

yuh, it should be out be4 august.. 2nd q02, it says on various roadmaps ive seen floating around..
it should do 2ghz easy, seeing its 1.8ghz and a 200mhz gain is common for some amds. deneding on ur method of cooling..

Dissolved

2Q02 is early isnt it? :D

i dont wanna wait that long, but what can i do about it..
getting tired of my .14ghz not wanting to do 1.5ghz or more :(

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
What is the thoroughbred????

Is it the next generation Hammer CPU (diff socket etc) or a .13Micron XP which is at 1.8Ghz!!

I originally thought AXIA said it was a XP running @ 1.8Ghz with a VCore of 1.65V!!!!
Imagine the OC!!!

Last edited:

minoukat

nick_cw said:
What is the thoroughbred????

Is it the next generation Hammer CPU (diff socket etc) or a .13Micron XP which is at 1.8Ghz!!

I originally thought AXIA said it was a XP running @ 1.8Ghz with a VCore of 1.65V!!!!
Imagine the OC!!!

The thoroughbred is the next AthlonXP, that will succeed the Palomino, and that will run on a .13micron. check out AMD's roadmap : http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_608,00.html

minoukat

nick_cw said:
Will it work with existing XP boards that are compatible with XP cpu's?

No idea, too early to tell yet. maybe in a couple of weeks we'll get more info on what's compatible and what's not. Don't forget they'll be made in different manufacturing process, so there might be a couple of pin assignment changes, plus I think (or at least I wish !) they'll improve the thermal protection in athlons

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
So what XP's that are out will be compatible with my 8KHA+ socket A Board?

I cancelled my 1900+ so I can get a 2200+ and if the .13Micron would fit then its like having 3.0ns ram, it would oc like crazy!!!

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

It will technically work with all existing Athlon motherboards (SOCKET A) and the only real change will be less heat and less voltage (1.60V) from a .13micon die size. So in theory, a 1.8GHz (XP2200) T-bred should hit 2100MHz with normal cooling (AIR) and 1.85V on the motherboard.

- had to mention that since this is a place of overclockin aint it!?
:D

last but not least, I LOVE how AMD is making 266fsb versions of the T-bred, it gives me goose bumps knowing older athlon motherboards will be able to feed this beast.

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

one last note,

2.00GHz will be the last 266fsb processor made for the AthlonXP line, after this 333fsb will countinue. I also heard, 2GHz will come in 266/333fsb flavours, interesting.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Cool so when is it out?????

I would do a VOlt Mod to 2.2V imagine what that would give you!!!!

You could run 333FSB XP's in a 266 board by overclocking the FSB to 167Mhz, do this by buying memory that runs @ 333!

However 333boards probably have a PCI divider....

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

I'm just another AMD Fan that cant officially get all the insider goods :( but what I can tell yea, Throughbred will definately be here March, or early February!:D:rolleyes:

And for final notes, Sledgehammer & Clawhammer are 64-bit processors that are not of the X86 core but rather a new architexture all together. The Sledge boy and Claw girl;) use the EV7 bus which has over 3X the bandwidth of the current Athlons today! (EV6) And AMD will have a new name for these processors.
As for processing speeds, 533MHz QDR FSB sounds like fun to me. Too bad these processors were delayed another 10 months by one last Monster Athlon processor (Barton) which has 512KB Cache like the Northwood Pentium4. Barton will also be .13micron technology but will incorperate SSE2 Intel intructions (A.K.A - 3Dnow! ULTRA) and will float on 400MHz FSB 200DDR along with PC3200 (DDRII).

Personally, I will wait for the AthlonXP (15x133)(Throughbred) processor then make the upgrade and max out my motherboard's processor capabilities. I dont see the need to upgrade from a 1333MHz processor since no game out there truly can even begin to harness its capabilities. Doom3 might stand a chance, just maybe...

:beer: , that will about do it, my brain is weakening:eek:

for now...

Last edited:

minoukat

AXIA said:
And for final notes, Sledgehammer & Clawhammer are 64-bit processors that are not of the X86 core but rather a new architexture all together. The Sledge boy and Claw girl;) use the EV7 bus which has over 3X the bandwidth of the current Athlons today! (EV6) And AMD will have a new name for these processors.
As for processing speeds, 533MHz QDR FSB sounds like fun to me.

If they are 533MHz FSB, will they be 266MHz DDR or 133MHz QDR ?

HugoHenry

Disabled
Don't expect a 20% OC capability with the XP. IT is on the .18 micron process and AMD is pushing this to the limits. You won't get much more out of what the chip already offers.
I have seen a 1800XP OC to 2.2Ghz but with water cool.
Intels next step is the 2.2Ghz Northwood, and will be good but they still don't efciently use there clock cycles so expect the AMD 21 or 2200 to be much faster.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Were talking about the Thoroughbred which if my memory serves me correctly:eek: fits all Socket A/462 boards with XP compatibility but has a .13Micron core and only has a 1.65VCore, so setting the voltage to the Max in the BIOS is virtually the same as doing a volt mod to nearly 2V!!!

I can't wait.......

OP
OC-Master

OC-Master

Yes, your correct, there will be alot more potential with the Throughbred with the .15V less power consumption.

Palamino = 1.75V possible .10V Gain with 1.85V

Throughbred = 1.60V:D = possible .25V Gain with 1.85V

With the T-Bred, MHz will no longer be an issue for AMD. This processor will have the capabilities to ramp em mhz up but the fsb will become a bottleneck problem, and in my opinion, AMD should have skipped 333fsb and go strait to 400fsb. AMD will try to get 3GHz out of a 333MHz FSB which will be a major slow down:rolleyes: but by time they hit 3GHz, the Barton chips should be ready with a 400fsb which solves the problem:p