• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP's cooler than tbirds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

srwven

I was under the assumption that XP's run cooler than tbirds. In another thread I read someone saying that the palominos-1600XP run at the same wattage and thus put out the same heat as the tbirds. Any truth? Articles would be helpful too, if anyone knows of any.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
I know the 1600's put out 63watts of heat, and the AXIA 1.2 tbirds were putting out something like 80...but that might have been running at 1365...

There was a great program called Radiate that could determine your wattage based on CPU type, speed, and voltage called Radiate. I'm not sure if its been updated with new processors, but Joe did write about it here

I do know the lower speeds XP's are cooler than their Tbird counterparts, i.e. a 1600 running at 1.4ghz is much easier to handle than a tbird at 1.4...

Mike

Pinky

XPs run cooler, it was part of the core improvement between the tbirds and palominos... (that, and palominos have SSE ;) ).

A 1.4ghz tbird will run hotter at the same voltage as a 1.4ghz XP at the same voltage.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Yeah MHz for MHz and volt for volt the Palominos run cooler, mostly because they have a lesser watt per sq mm ratio than the TBird. (meaning the Palomino's have a core with larger surface area and don't put out any extra heat).

This is why TBred1 is so much hotter than Palomino - it actually puts less watts out but the watts/sq mm ratio is higher because the core is so small. Dissipating heat is easier over a larger contact surface than a smaller one.

So, in theory, an XP 1500+ is the coolest running Athlon at stock speed/voltage. Early Durons ran very cool as well. I built several Duron 700 systems for friends with Chrome Orbs and those systems idled at 1 or 2 C above case temp. My Duron 700 with the KT133A register 52 hack idled at even temp with case temperature. :D :cool:

sb

ronin1967

I can tell you from my personal experience that both my processors seem to run at the same temps(on the same MB, same heatsink, same fan)

My XP1600+

AX1600DMT3C
AGOIA0212WPXW
Y8035380265

and

My Athlon 1.333 Thunderbird

A1333AMS3C
AYHJA0124BPCW

Both run 3 degress above ambient, usually around 35C