• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xsquared_uk, did you do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
"aobut 140Ghz for team 32".....

Holy Schnikies, did you borg 90 rigs????

If you did that's frikin' awesome! Are they going 24/7? Did you use the service install and -admethods flag?

Wedo

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Wedo said:
"aobut 140Ghz for team 32".....

Holy Schnikies, did you borg 90 rigs????

If you did that's frikin' awesome! Are they going 24/7? Did you use the service install and -admethods flag?

Wedo
uhhh, yeah, inquisitive minds want to know! And WEDO, it's advmethods, NOT admethods :eek:

OP
Wedo

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
No wonder that hasn't been working....

j/k, can't a brother through a typo here and there!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh, everyone's a critic.

Weod

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Wedo said:
No wonder that hasn't been working....

j/k, can't a brother through a typo here and there!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh, everyone's a critic.

Weod
Normally yes. But (for some unknown reason :rolleyes: ) people think you know what you are actually doing when it comes to borging and flagging properly etc. So, for you to misspell a command flag that is dependant upon proper spelling, one (the real borgmeister) ought to point it out. :D

Fever

Re: Re: xsquared_uk, did you do this?

nikhsub1 said:

uhhh, yeah, inquisitive minds want to know! And WEDO, it's advmethods, NOT admethods :eek:

grammarnazi-Zeinin.jpg

Hehe, I couldn't resist. :p Just kidding, nikh..

xsquared_uk

Heh heh heh, yeah I did - it took me 2 days to get working though, and even now it's not completely right. I basically run folding on my home machines, but seeing as I'm in this 4 way thing I also did 15 odd machines in our IT offices at work, 7 odd servers (4 dual CPU), and 2 entire new computer rooms - 63 P4 1.8's... Those figures are just rough - I should really have written down which I did! Want to see 'borg central' ?

http://www.newcollpont.ac.uk/news/room_before_after.htm

HOWEVER there are a few issues about this. Firstly, due to the way our systems work, you don't get internet access until the machine is logged in - therefore I've had to leave every machine logged in as a generic user I created. In other words, it won't work during the week when the machines are being used. It also took me about half an hour to go round and log on to each and make sure it was running, so it's not the simplest thing to do. Furthermore, it's my job to make sure all the machines are off so if the caretaker notices they're all on then I could cop for it on Monday - I'll just say I was installing packages though. I couldn't leave the aircon on either, so it's going to be pretty warm in there on Monday morning...

So, it's just a temporary thing but it's better than nothing! The other problem is that none of them have submitted anything yet - they kicked off at around 5pm GMT so fingers crossed some work should start coming through in the next few hours. If it doesn't, that means either the caretaker has noticed and switched them all off, the power has been off or the heat has melted them all into scrap...!

I used the flags but about half were picking up Tinker stuff and half the new core so I dunno if it worked properly - as I said earlier, I just wanted them folding SOMETHING before I left!

I just have this horrible feeling that nothing will happen, that they've all gone onto power save mode or something... KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED EVERYBODY!

Regardless of what happens, I still have to make sure I'm first in on Monday to log them all off, get the aircon cranked up and remove all evidence of my tampering from the servers before my boss comes back on Tuesday. I even did his laptop, well it's his own fault for leaving it on the desk!

xsquared_uk

Oh, if anyone's interested, I did it by using the batch file below as a logon script. The normal service install etc don't work on our systems as they've got security stuff on to stop students messing with them - but you can write to c:\windows\temp hence this thing. I just created a user, gave them this script as logon.bat in their startup folder, dumped a directory with HideItX, FAH3Console.exe and client.cfg into their home directory on the server and let it do it's stuff! Oh, and for some reason it doesn't connect properly the first time, so that's why it starts the client, pauses, stops and restarts! The pause at the end is so I can make sure it's OK before I hide the client. The 2 lines together should be all on one but it wraps on here. Borg on people!

md c:\windows\temp\fah

copy N:\MyWork\fah\*.* c:\windows\temp\fah

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -starthide
c:\windows\temp\fah\FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

choice Waiting for start /ty,8

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -stop FAH3Console

choice Closing first run /ty,5

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -starthide
c:\windows\temp\fah\FAH3Console.exe -advmethods -forceasm

choice Waiting for start /ty,5

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -ontop FAH3Console

pause

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\fah\HideItX.exe -hide FAH3Console

exit

DeepScience

Super Kiwi
What software did you use to join the pictures together?

Is your next job going to be in IT as well?

Just interested,

DupSciece

N

nerdlogic

Ooooohhhh....you better try to get yourself some permission....

xsquared_uk

Nah, it's cool - honestly. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have enough authority. The only thing people will be bothered about is that the machines are left on over the weekend, but it's only this once. Nobody really minds what software I put on the network - indeed that's part of my job. If Folding worked properly on our network then I'd have it running on Idle on all the machines, it's just to see if it can be done this time, then back to normal on Monday. I can rebuild all the stations in an hour or so anyway with a network build, so there's no worries about me doing any software damage.

belorsch

Folding Monk
Looks like at least some are working. 19 active processors are listed for your folding id. SCHWEET!

Disco_Stu

TAKE THAT OCAU! :D

I hope you're able to getting it working on a permenant basis!

/me crosses fingers