• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xt Or non ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

Ok, im building a system for a friend. And the graphics card choices are a 5900xT or a 5900Non-ultra

Which will be better gaming wise? he is not intending to overclock at all. he's just trying to upgrade so he can play doom3, and doesn't want/can't afford to shell out for the latest gen of cards.

MrBozack

It's hard to say which is best...... especially given the age of some 5900nu's.
...but generally, yeah, the 5900nu is better....

Here comes the "but".....

Some 5900XT's are equipped with the same 2.2ns and 2.4ns memory like 5900Ultra cards.
It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Personally, I would either opt for a BFG, eVGA or XFX 5900XT.
They have the fast stuff on them for less ca$h than a 5900nu

...but there are some good non ultra cards about too. Choose wisely.
:beer:

OP
Goateh

Goateh

Ok, I don't live in the US. So I dont' fancy coughing up 600$ for a 6800

OP
Goateh

Goateh

Yes they can, and they do.

NZ currency is lame man.

For instance. My board and chip cost me about $420

buddhafumes

Can't you guys order stuff online? pretty cheap stuff online (newegg.com, pricewatch.com), that is IF they ship outside of the U.S... You'd be hard-ressed to find a non-ultra, but I would go for a non-ultra myself. There are some pretty cheap XT's out there too. If you find a cheap non-ultra then you should go for it.

OP
Goateh

Goateh

Yes they do probably send stuff outside the US, but i'd still have to pay in US currency, which I'm not too keen on

OP
Goateh

Goateh

zabomb4163 said:
whats wrong with US currency?

I never said there was anything wrong with US currency. But changing from NZ to US usually incurrs a fee, not to mention the fact that our Dollar is worth jack all. Hence why I don't want to order from overseas :)